Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Fuel Gauge Error - Contact Dealer'.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
You'll need a tech2. Go into the fuel sender options through tech2 and re-select sedan. For some reason when the sender is replaced it defaults to ute.

and how the hell would the wagon know if the senders been unplugged :/
sender now reads 224ohms, so the float is not stuck and is reading correctly, just not talking to the dash or computer.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
and how the hell would the wagon know if the senders been unplugged :/
sender now reads 224ohms, so the float is not stuck and is reading correctly, just not talking to the dash or computer.

No idea. Just passing on the info i got from Holden while i have been chasing my own fuel problem. What they said and what they did fixed that particular problem. There is an old saying that goes "don't shoot the messenger".

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
From the cluster thread by Tazzi on here -

So how to tell what series your VY is and what series fuel sender is present in your car if your unsure or want to be certain!?
Top your fuel tank up to the top and then open up the "engineer mode" (see open engineer mode if unsure how to).
scroll through the options until you find the menu stating "Fuel ohms".

This value provided decides whether your cars fuel sender is S1 or S2.
If your car is a Sedan, the Ohms reading is around 240-250ohms (Sedan) then your car has a Series 1 Fuel sender thus need a Series 1 Cluster configuration.
If the Ohms reading is around 40-70ohms (Sedan) then your car has Series 2 Fuel Sender thus needs a Series 2 Cluster configuration

If your car is a Ute, ohms reading round 165 - 240ohms is Series1 and ohms readin around 40-65 ohms is Series2.

Now anyone wondering why its so important to know what series fuel sender they have and not just what series there car is?. Because The early Series 2 cars used both Series 1 and Series 2 fuel senders (Yes, Annoying). So Its best being absolutely certain what your current fuel configuration is!.
Below is an example of a Series1 sedan Configuration, Notice how the largest ohms match the largest volumes, vise versa for S2.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
Fixed. Faulty sender unit.

Purchased the incorrect sender unit (S1 VY), Series 2 type has since been fitted and is operational.

Thanks for the help.

Mudcrab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Thanks for the update Brinz, my VY SS ute has just done pretty much the same thing today after filling the tank; e.g. shows 1/2 tank indicated and intermittently displays the error msg so i should be able to fix easily

cheers

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
now ive just got this in my VY ss series 2 today, nothing has changed it just started popping up and very annoying. when the vehicle is parked in park or drive and not moving it doesnt do it, but when im driving it flashes on and off this error message on the dash. so seems whenever the petrol in the tank moving around the error will occur, but doesnt log any codes. petrol gauge seems to show correct level.
i put my laptop on to it and went for a drive, the line for fuel is solid with no breaks up or down.
problem fuel sender???

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep common problem with the sender, had the same with my vy SS many years ago. Was faulting every now and again but slowly got worse until it wouldn't work at all, Pulled the sender out and the contact on the sender resistor had corroded off.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
could it be soldered back on or not?
Nope mine couldnt, i just put a new one in. Dropping the the tank is a pain so its better just to replace it honestly.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
after that day of beeping its head off it hasnt made a damn noise since.