Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge help

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hey guys

Just after some advice, does anyone know if there is a flash fix or similar that could recalibrate the fuel sender on my ss?

I'm pretty sure it's reading incorrectly, it's a standard tank but seems to not be using the correct amount of fuel.
I ran it to the empty line today (bottom line) and when I filled it up it only took 42 litres of fuel over 260km. My calculations tells me I should be getting 468km of driving if I used every last drop of fuel.

I'd think it should take around 55 - 60 litres when it hit the empty line?

Does this sound about right?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey guys

Just after some advice, does anyone know if there is a flash fix or similar that could recalibrate the fuel sender on my ss?

I'm pretty sure it's reading incorrectly, it's a standard tank but seems to not be using the correct amount of fuel.
I ran it to the empty line today (bottom line) and when I filled it up it only took 42 litres of fuel over 260km. My calculations tells me I should be getting 468km of driving if I used every last drop of fuel.

I'd think it should take around 55 - 60 litres when it hit the empty line?

Does this sound about right?

Utes have a 60L tank, where as sedans have 75L.

Sooooo, either the sender is dodgey.. or the cluster's has wrong calibration (Possibly?!).

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Well known issue, there are a few threads on here about this issue.

I had it in my VY SS ute, and now in my VZ SS ute. It's do with the calibration of the cluster. There is a fix through Holden but never really looked into it as I just know I have probably 5-10L of fuel left when I get towards empty.

It's good, makes me fill up well before actually being on the dregs of the tank.

Just doing a search of 'ute fuel gauge' -

vz-fuel-gauge-problem

false-fuel-gauge-reading

poll-vz-ute-fuel-gauge-issues

There are more out there that you can find if you really want. But basically like TazzI said, you got 60L. Just keep that in your mind.

And one thing I have learnt from 3 separate models of Holdens that calculate how long you have in distance to go before empty, its not accurate. Don't trust it with your life.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
It's a sedan so they have the 75L tanks, good thing is I guess I know I've got plenty of fuel still when it hits empty.

I called Holden's and they reckon they'll charge me $98 just to look at it, and would want it for a day to check it all out.

Called another dealer who said the flash fix was only to do with the trip computer telling you how many K's are left and it's probably the sender which will cost about $1000 to replace.

It doesn't worry me to much around town, it's more when I take the car away on a long drive, I'd like to know just how much fuel I've got.

The L/100k readout is pretty much always spot on.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
It's a sedan so they have the 75L tanks, good thing is I guess I know I've got plenty of fuel still when it hits empty.

I called Holden's and they reckon they'll charge me $98 just to look at it, and would want it for a day to check it all out.

Called another dealer who said the flash fix was only to do with the trip computer telling you how many K's are left and it's probably the sender which will cost about $1000 to replace.

It doesn't worry me to much around town, it's more when I take the car away on a long drive, I'd like to know just how much fuel I've got.

The L/100k readout is pretty much always spot on.

Alright, how about some basic diagnostics first.

Fill the car up, then open up the engineer menu (Key off, hold mode+Set buttons and then turn ignition on). The scroll through till you find the menu that tells you how many litres you have left.

On a full tank.. you should definitely be seeing ~72-75 litres.

This will help eliminate it being a cluster related issue.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Alright, how about some basic diagnostics first.

Fill the car up, then open up the engineer menu (Key off, hold mode+Set buttons and then turn ignition on). The scroll through till you find the menu that tells you how many litres you have left.

On a full tank.. you should definitely be seeing ~72-75 litres.

This will help eliminate it being a cluster related issue.

Awesome info mate. I filled up this morning and have since done 23km. It's showing 60lt. I'll head down to the servo tonight and fill it back up

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Awesome info mate. I filled up this morning and have since done 23km. It's showing 60lt. I'll head down to the servo tonight and fill it back up

23kms.. yeah thats nothing, full tank essentially.

Sounds like you have a ute cluster in there.. since a ute cluster will register a full tank as ~60L.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

Is this a new car you have picked up? Or had it for a while?

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS

I've had it since around Christmas mate. That's bloody weird then.....

It has been tuned so I was told, I'm not sure by who tho. Maybe they flashed a tune from a ute?

Also the sender was showing 102 Omhs

Last edited:

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS

So be looking at the thread you started about clusters years ago, the serial number of my cluster isn't matching with my VIN. I've got no idea why you would change a cluster from an ss to another from an ss, I hope this wasn't done to bring the km down.....