Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel guage out

SSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
I think my fuel gauge is reading wrong. seams to be on the E with only 30km left showing and when i fill up i only get 50-60L in yet it is supposed to be a 75L tank. Its a vx ss gen III. I was wondering if there was a reset or someway to reset it or pull it out and clean it to make it work better.

I am not to sure just didnt want to take it to a stealer and have them say sorry mate need a new sensor thats $1000 cause we had to pull the tank out and this and that and so on. would rather do it myself.

Can anyone help with some suggestions.

yeah.yeah

Reaction score
my vx is about the same, but think yourself lucky because theres vx's running out of fuel with the fuel gauge showing 1/2 a tank. this is a holden fault but they refuse to pay for a recall to fix it.

SSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
so in short there is no fix for it then?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Sounds like the sender unit playing up in the fuel pump ?. Go to holden and ask them to quote you on what is wrong, That won't cost a thing.

Been told the sender unit's go on these cars all the time. They fixed it VY onwards i believe ?.

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Acclaim storm grey
yeah i gotta make sure i fill up at just under a 1/4 tank cause ive run out of fuel a couple of times as soon as the fuel light comes on

LJ RB30

Reaction score
With a previous job i had a VY V6 auto wagon as a company car, as did about 10 other service guys. While i didn't have the problem (only had the car 3 months before quitting) cose i didn't run it down so low but several other guy had run out of fuel before the gauge being on empty. One guy had the low fuel chime (60 or 70k's to go) then ran out about 1 min later, same guy ran out with 200k's to go!! He complained several times to Holden before & during servicing. Finally Holdens reply was "We have the software to fix that" .
Their supposed fix was to tell the computer the car has a smaller tank!!!
The mates reply was "Thats not a fix, that's a bandaid". Holdens reply "yes but you wont run out of fuel". Not a great solution for guys that do a lot of miles at all hours of the day and night out in the country.
I now have a VXII auto wagon as a family car, it also has the bandaid. With the low fuel chime i can only put 55-57lts in it. Last week i drove 55km after 0km to empty (which annoyed the crap out of the missus, oh well) and still only got 70lts in it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I thought there was a recall to fix this problem