Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

funny noise??

vyss300kwute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series2 ute
i have a vy ss ute series 2, when i launch fairly hard i get a weird noise sometimes like it is missing very audible..
it is quite noticeble when turning left and accerating out of corners..
i had the engine mounts replaced, because my mechanic said it was that, at the time id realised my exhaust was toasted from sydneys speedhumps and replaced from the cats back..
it is an itermitten sound, and i do drive it fairly hard..
has anyone expierenced a similar noise and what was it?, diff maybe? although it does sound from the front of the car..

vyss300kwute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series2 ute
i think its the diff, there is a minor leak from the left hand side of the diff were the rubber boot is..

ricecooker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
sounds like either your crown end or the bearings in your lsd

vyss300kwute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series2 ute
t/c?? if mean turbo charger, that is a no, though the sound is very similar to a turbo with a blown inlet gasket..
i think rice cooker could be on the money, it does luanch a boat regularly so some saltwater may have found its way to the bearings..
is there a DIY test i can do on the rear end to possibly identify the problem??
thanks guys for the responses much appreciated, this is an awesome site, stacks of useful info :thumbsup:

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
i'm guessing t/c is traction control.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yeah traction control sorry. i did a rear wheelbearing on a vx wagon today - same setup as the ute. and it was a weird one. wasnt loud or groany, just sounded like a brake shimming, or a bird chirping, more pronounced when braking or slowly accelerating. when under load, and also there was play in the bearing at certain points not consistent.

i probably wouldnt do it at home unless your going to take the lower control arm out to remove the bearing if thats what i comes down to. as it took us a large piece of pipe and a medium sledgy to pop the bearing out

vyss300kwute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series2 ute
oh ok, traction control, nah dont have that, could be handy at times though (wet weather)..

wasn't looking at fixing myself just the diagnostic, sick of mechanics telling me it is this and that and the problem not being solved, would rather go and tell them the problem and get it sorted..