Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuse 10, VS

mildewmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 WH II Statesman
Anyone have any idea why a VS Berlina would be blowing fuse # 10 (instrument lighting, ignition system) ONLY when the air conditioner is on? Doesn't blow it immediately, takes a couple of minutes. Car has climate control, does not blow any other fuses. I seem to remember it starting when we replaced the ignition leads.

I survived through summer without the ac.. thought winter would be fine.. until i realised i needed the ac for the demister. sigh.

Any ideas?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Fuse 10 is actually a fairly busy little fuse. It wont have anything to do with the ignition leads, unless you bumped an associated wire while you were pulling the leads off.

Fuse 10 provides power to your heated rear window, as you found out. Try removing the heated rear window (a.k.a rear demister) relay and see if the fuse still blows. You could also try disconnecting the connector off the back of the rear demister switch, as a shorted switch would also cause the problem (do the berlinas have a switch for the rear window demister or is it done through the climate control?)

Anyway start with that rear demister relay. Its inside the car, second from the left. Pull the relay out and use another in its place.

If the demister wires shorted out you could also blow the fuse, but it would be fairly hard for those rear demister wires to go short circuit.

Let us know how that relay goes.

willo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Anyone have any idea why a VS Berlina would be blowing fuse # 10 (instrument lighting, ignition system) ONLY when the air conditioner is on? Doesn't blow it immediately, takes a couple of minutes. Car has climate control, does not blow any other fuses. I seem to remember it starting when we replaced the ignition leads.

I survived through summer without the ac.. thought winter would be fine.. until i realised i needed the ac for the demister. sigh.

Any ideas?
did you ever sort this out.Have the same problem

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Stopped using air con...no more blown fuses.