Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas Converted VT

Decksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S, VZ Adentura, JH II Cruze, VL Wag ned2sell
Just to go off topic a bit Has anyone got a dyno figure from there vt/vx v6 car on gas ( a real one not a hyped up nor with a million mods just standard figure ) from what ive read here its like 75 % efficiency of petrol so say vx Holden figure 152kw flywheel 152 * 0.75 = 114kw is that right? I know that might hurt you guys I am not hanging, I just want to know cause I have to buy premium fuel here @ 149c /L coz the standard stuff here has got like 40 % ethanol in it true test done, so would just like to know if some1 actually has tested there’s does it change what rev the max power is at too, it would be interesting to know. No offence intended ok :thumbsup:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Just to go off topic a bit Has anyone got a dyno figure from there vt/vx v6 car on gas ( a real one not a hyped up nor with a million mods just standard figure ) from what ive read here its like 75 % efficiency of petrol so say vx Holden figure 152kw flywheel 152 * 0.75 = 114kw is that right? I know that might hurt you guys I am not hanging, I just want to know cause I have to buy premium fuel here @ 149c /L coz the standard stuff here has got like 40 % ethanol in it true test done, so would just like to know if some1 actually has tested there’s does it change what rev the max power is at too, it would be interesting to know. No offence intended ok :thumbsup:

Seems to be some misunderstanding here.
LPG is just as efficient a fuel as petrol, depending on the combustion conditions....possibly more so.

The energy of combustion per litre isnt as high as petrol though, so the car will only go 75% of the petrol distance on LPG, however, the actual energy content of lpg per gram is higher than petrol.

The power output(rate at which energy can be released) of the fuel is dependent on how much space the fuel occupies in the intake and how much oxygen can be mixed with that.
The energy difference when taken this way is not terribly different. Lpg is not as good as petrol in this regard though, so power output with lpg will typically be less in an engine designed for petrol, the difference will typically end up at around 5%less power on lpg in most applications.

Last edited:

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
There is some consensus that the power curve it altered slightly on lpg, with top end power being higher on petrol (probably due to limitations with lpg mixers and flow rates etc) but there seems to be better bottom end punch on the lpg. At work on the utes, most of them run on petrol, and all out utes are changed over at the same time, so they pretty much share the same mileage. When people drive the lpg units, they immediately comment on the power. Now in the specs the ute base is 185kw at the motor and gas i think is 175-179kw at motor, but quite a few people have commented on the difference. SO it would be interesting to see it on a dyno. I doubt a city council has time for that though hehe.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 5.7
Vt V8 Gas

I have a 1998 VT SS convertered to gas about 12 months ago and have had no problem at all. I had the vapour injection system installed. I get about 420-450 kilometers out of a 72 litre tank. The other thing that you need to consider when converting to gas is changing the rear suspension height. I had both my rear tyres choped out on the inner edge within 20,000klm :bang:. Before that I had no problem with tyre were. I went standard heavy duty height springs which took the height back to the original height before I had the gas tank fitted. Hope this is of help to people thinking of converting to gas.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yes i should have mentioned it. When i put mine on, i couldnt notice it with standard 16's, but when i put my 18's on, it chopped out the inside. Now i also have standard heavy duty springs, and 4 point camber kit. Sits up, but what can i do. But yeah, 96 litre gas tank does no favours to the suspension.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
mrs vs sedan gets consistently 450km to about 55l at 110km/h or 100km/h or even towing a 6by 4 trailer it makes no diff on gas. and 250 km around town stop start.
was considering putting my v6 man wag vs on gas, but re- thinking with the price of gas now and there is an excise being introduced on lpg and increasing a few cents every year to i think 2015. so you might save $5-$10 per fill. prob not worth it considering the pros and cons

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
mrs vs sedan gets consistently 450km to about 55l at 110km/h or 100km/h or even towing a 6by 4 trailer it makes no diff on gas. and 250 km around town stop start.

fark dude your gas system needs abit of a tune if you can only get 250kms to a tank round town.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hes only got a 55litre tank, thats about right actually. I getting 450-500 from a 96litre tank, which is approx 76 litres effective, both short trip and freeway.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
But it is recommended to get it dyno tuned, thats what the Taxis do, so once yo dont most of ur mods, dyno it.

holdenrules

Reaction score
Does anyone have the original factory installed system that they can comment on ?

Where would the best place be to get a factory like install done ?

What I'm referring to is a quality professional install, not some hack job ...

Also, where does the factory LPG switch go (the oval one) ? Some people say it goes on the left of the auto shifter plate, replacing the Traction Control switch.

But the shapes of the TC and LPG switches are different ... the LPG switch looks like it is the same shape as the fog lights, so would it go under the headlight switch ?

But what if you say, have a manual with fog lights ? Where does the factory switch go ?

No way would I put in one of those LED style displays, they just bugger up the whole look of the dash :mad:

It's the original factory location which I'm trying to work out ... :confused: