Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gas tank and subby don't wanna be friends

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
Hi all, I am new on this site.
I have a duel fuel VP sedan with an aftermarket rear spoiler,(amongst other mods not relevant to this post). You guys are probably laughing at me for even having a subby with a gas tank in my boot. That aside, whats the best way for me to maximise the sound and minimise the rattles from my 12" boxed sub? I have it pointing towards back seat at the moment. The gas tank runs across the back of the seat. I have dynamat all around the boot.
Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Many people have dual fuel cars and subs with no problems. Is your tank rattling because that would be a little scary? Oh and turn the sub around an make it face the rear of the car, most people find that that way sounds better.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I agree, I had a VT with gas and had no issues. I even had 2 12's and didn't find any unusual rattles. I didn't even have dynamat and it sounded fine too. Like acarmody said turn it to face the boot and you should be fine.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
thanks. I'll try turning it round. I just thought it may have reduced the rattles from the garnish and the boot lid, and also driven more sound into the car, if it was facing the seat.
I still haven't properly soundproofed the garnish though. I have noticed ppl using socks, cardboard, foam, expanding foam, silicone, pretty much anything. What do you guys suggest/ what has worked for you?
oh and I don't think the gas tank is vibrating, haven't been able to crank the volume loud enough yet coz of other rattles.
Might put a small person in the boot to find the rattles whilst the boot is closed haha .

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I used foam. Went to Clarks Rubber and bought like a sheet and cut it to size. Worked well for me. I had too much bass it kept blowing the brake light in the rear window. Once I put the foam in, never had that problem again.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
how good are you with building things? .. maybe you could create a custom box outta some MDF, and fix it somewhere better?

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
I tried to put foam/sponge behind the garnish today and couldn't put the garnsih back on properly, the threads are too short. I am thinking of getting something to spray on the back and some silicone. will have a look at bunnings.
If i gotta build stuff and still not know if it'll sound any better, i'll just pay someone to do it, and make sure they do a decent job.

mattchew13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe 3.8 V6 2001
I used foam. Went to Clarks Rubber and bought like a sheet and cut it to size. Worked well for me. I had too much bass it kept blowing the brake light in the rear window. Once I put the foam in, never had that problem again.

Crap how much were you power did you have?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Crap how much were you power did you have?

To be honest I was only running 600wrms in the boot. Not much at all but it still kept blowing my damn light.