Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear box issue on near new SS Thunder 2012

Jamie27

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Thunder S2 2012 V8
Hi all this is my first post here, :)

I have just purchased a 2012 SS Thunder v8 Manual ute 9000k's on the clock. Driving it over the last week i have noticed that gear shifts 1-2 and 2-3 sometimes crunch but always go in, i haven't noticed it shifting down or
any issues with 4-5-6.. Has anyone experienced this with such a new car? the clutch feels very nice and heavy, and i've never missed a gear change. There is also some wear to the rear tires / gravel chips on the rear mags which may indicate abuse from the previous owner..

Also how do i determine if my ute is a MY12 or 12.5?? its build date is May 2012, does this mean 12.5 lol?

Cheers

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I have the same issues with my ute. Hoping a ripshifter will fix the issue. Alot of people refer to the gearboxes in these as 'agricultural'.

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
An MY12.5 would be a Z-series and I think the first ones were August/Sept builds. A thunder will still be an MY12.

When you say 'grind', do mean actual metal-on-metal shearing sounds, or just a bit on the clunky side?

Also... if a 6 litre V8 ute doesnt have some rear tyre wear, there's something wrong with it lol.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Seems to be a fairly common complaint with the manual boxes. As helmotbros mentioned, the ripshifter seems to be the most popular fix :)

As I'm a slush box driver I can't common based on experience, but from my reading, the ripshifter seems to fix the issues with anyone that has experienced it.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I had the same issue with my Thunder, after driving it now for 9000km a lot of the clunkeness and sort of grinding noises have gone, I'm puting it down to I have found the sweet spots when changing gears or its I guess worn in a little bit better now maybe.....

HAR987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Utility M6
my clutch was very springy and clunky but worked better when shifting with higher revs. 4000 kms later its improved but hard to tell whether its me or the car... I tried to tell the vallet parking at the hilton that the clutch is new and springy..he laughed and said he knows how to drive these. Stalled twice nek minut revved to about 4 grand and ripped it up. I think he hung on to it so it looked intentional

Ricky

Reaction score
Members Ride
12.5 VE SS Z Series Ute
Yeah mine was exactly the same.

15000kms later and mine has become better and no longer hard to shift

Jamie27

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Thunder S2 2012 V8
Hey thanks for the responses everyone, good feedback :) i ended up taking my ute into holden today and had the service manager drive it, where it did play up mainly between gears 1-2 thankfully. So his response was that most of these manual transmissions
having 7 gears (6 + reverse) crammed into such a small box can often have this same issue. At least now its logged in the system in case something worse comes from this later down the track. Ill just keen driving it and hopefully will wear in abit better.

One last thing..? does anyone know if the Rip Shifter voids warranty?

Cheers

Ricky

Reaction score
Members Ride
12.5 VE SS Z Series Ute
Yeah I honestly thought something was wrong with mine and was going to moan about it at the 15000 km service but it seems to have come better and shifts are now ,much smoother.

Going in for service tomorrow for 15k.

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
If future problems do arise with it, take it straight back to Holden. Its under warranty, therefore you should make it there problem, and not yours. :)

Also, have a wah about it tomorrow at the service, and see what they say. :)

Kinng