Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Box Issue

oscar.1plumbing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S Pack Ute
Hi, I’ve just joined I’ve recently purchased a VY 2003 Commodore Ute, s pack.

Please it’s my work vehicle I’ve been so kind to it it’s always had one owner it’s whole life. Yes it’s done 300,000 km, but it’s been treated so well and always had its major services.
I drove her to the Central Coast from Sydney there and back absolutely no issues.

I slept overnight the next morning I was driving and then all of a sudden the gear just disengages from power to the rear, wheels,. To like its revenue in neutral, but it’s still in drive gear. Then turn the car off turn it back on and it’s like it reset something it’s like it’s electronic or something.
But it does work better if you let it cool down a little bit.
When I go to accelerate after it’s been running for a little bit it’s like it’s delayed. or it’s not fully engaging the fluid inside the gearbox. Kind of like spluttering. Also as you know if you’ve got the car in L gear or first. Well for my Ute this year it does this anyway and you keep driving and say holding accelerator down it will shift into second. Without changing the selector from low to 2nd, so what I’m getting at is it’s not designed to bounce off the limiter. But now now. It wants to just bounce off the limiter when it disengages the gear while it’s in drive it seems to have the issue around first and even if you cycle through all the gears from drive all the way down to low, it’s still nothing engages even from neutral to reverse. Nothing engages you have to turn the car off let it cool down a little bit put it into Park Turn the car on and it goes fine but then it starts to happen again.

Also when you’re accelerating and you softly accelerating, but then if you give it some it loses power to the rear wheels and just rise its head off. It’s like there’s a clutch slipping any ideas.??

Can you please help me does anybody need any more information? Is there a plug that’s come loose is it electronic please help? Thanks warm regards Oscar love you all. Cheers

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Check the fluid level.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Service the gearbox.....There will be gearbox friction material blocking the filter in the gearbox

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Review the attached and see if any of the problems identified is consistent with what you are experiencing"

Attachments

• 4L60E common problems.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 44

oscar.1plumbing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S Pack Ute
Thank you so much gents, so what ive done since is through MY AUTO TRANSMISSION dipstick housing i added that Lucas transmission fix ****. Thick ****. A bit scary. So like it doesnt thud when shifting any more just very smooth.
Ill dump the pan and clean the screen.

Also i live in artarmon area i want a good commodore mechanic. As ive always had jap cars any ideas where to take her im an honest trades man i want an honest mechanic.
Cheers