Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear stick boot/surround - 6cyc vs v8 - is there a difference?

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
Hi

My VK had the engine and gearbox ocnverted from 202 with M76 to a VL v8 with M20 gear box.

The lower gearstick boot appears to fit ok but doesn't stay on. Is it likely that there's a different boot for the M20 gearbox or do these simply stretch and wear out with age?

If I fit the plastic surround that's part of the centre console, there's not enough movement to allow shifting into 3rd (it needs to move another 2-3cm further than the surround allows), is this different for the v8 gearbox too?

Cheers
Evan
VK Commodore - 125.jpg

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
Thanks, that explains it, been doing my head in.

Any idea if anyone sells replacement ones? I've had a bit of a hunt on the web with no joy so far.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks, that explains it, been doing my head in.

Any idea if anyone sells replacement ones? I've had a bit of a hunt on the web with no joy so far.

unfortunately I don't like your chances....
unless you are lucky enough to find someone selling one NOS

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
thanks guys.

I found one that's a bit knocked around(hole in it) on ebay this afternoon, at least it should be a better fit than the current one.
Will hang onto it for a T5 gearbox in the future.

Cheers
Evan

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
I have the new boot fitted now, pretty worn but it fits properly.

Just one more question on the gear stick surround.
The gear stick goes about about 2-3cm into where the plastic is, meaning when fitted I can't move the gearstick into 1st or 3rd.

Was there different versions of the plastic surround in the centre console for the M21/V8 as well or is there something I can adjust on the linkages to make it fit properly?

VK gearstick surround.jpg

Cheers
Evan

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
I have the new boot fitted now, pretty worn but it fits properly.

Just one more question on the gear stick surround.
The gear stick goes about about 2-3cm into where the plastic is, meaning when fitted I can't move the gearstick into 1st or 3rd.

Was there different versions of the plastic surround in the centre console for the M21/V8 as well or is there something I can adjust on the linkages to make it fit properly?

View attachment 177037

Cheers
Evan

Hi, The 4 speed and 5 speed surronds are different. The square hole is further forward on the 4 speed one. If you look on ebay you will see both for sale and images of both.

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
Thanks, it's been bugging me for ages.

Found one on ebay which has it sorted now.
For what it's worth, the old one was for a 4 speed as well so maybe same as 5speed (think the old gear box was mc6 to suit the 202).

IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

Cheers
Evan

Last edited: