Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen3 Losing power on acceleration

ants308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 5.7 Ute
Hi all. Sometimes when I floor the accelerater on my VU gen 3 auto, and it kicks back, it feels like it activates a rev/speed limiter (even thought it may only be doing 3000rpm!), then when I slowly take the foot off the peddle again, the "limiter" suddenly disappears and I get all power back again. Very odd I know. It happens when it kicks back from 3rd or 2nd to 1st (depending on how fast I'm going) and sometimes from 4th to 2nd. Any ideas? Throttle position sensor??? cheers.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Umm that sounds weird, does your engine do anything weird. Or just it feel like it would be in the drive chain?

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
could possibly have something to do with the traction control function???
Is the accelerator pedal pushing back at you

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
slick_red_VN said:
could possibly have something to do with the traction control function???
Is the accelerator pedal pushing back at you

I agree, sounds like traction control to me......

ants308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 5.7 Ute
The car has no traction control or ABS. The pedal does not force back. It almost feels like all of a sudden after you plant it, it drops 4 cylinders (though it doesn't run rough) then you lean off the accelerator and all you power comes back. It doesn't feel drive train related and the engine generally doens't do anything else weird. Also it doesn't happen every time either. Any clues?

PSK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais ls1
Are you getting excessively hard shifts from your auto?? If it shifts too hard it might be activating the torque management in the pcm

ants308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 5.7 Ute
I do have a shift kit in the transmission and it does kick down pretty hard sometimes. Is it possible to adjust the torque management in the pcm? The other thing is that it doesn't happen every time.

PSK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais ls1
Yes it is able to be adjusted but you will need to take it to someone with the software to re flash the computer. And the necessary skill to adjust it appropriately. e.g NOT Holden dealer
I had a shift kit put in my vx ls1 and I had problems on the 1 - 2 shift at full throttle. It felt like a fuel cut and would sit at about 3500rpm even with the foot planted in the firewall. I didn't know what it was until I spoke to Amberly autos in Melbourne who adjusted it for me. Cost $250 though :cry:
How long ago did you get the kit put in?? Has it pretty much started since the kit?

ants308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 5.7 Ute
Sounds like you had a very similar problem to me. I had the shift kit put in it probably about 10 months ago and I've only had the car 12 months. I only really noticed it about 4 months later.

PSK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais ls1
Mine pretty much happened the very day I had the kit done. Although when I went for a test drive with the mechanic it was O.K. I suppose it depends how hard you drive it. Really it's not that often that I drive full throttle from a standing start. So in normal driving it wasn't noticable. But I want to be sure that when I do want full throttle.....it is there.