Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

genuine V non genuine

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
fail dm...

please explain how its a fail? all i know it my 20's havent broke like that, and to be honest i quite enjoy living.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Genuine wheels were considered too expensive and copies look the same, so why bother with the extra expens ?? We have never seen any factory genuine wheels fall apart in the way these copy wheels have. Note the image with all the shattered bits. Not much integrity in that casting material used with these copy replica wheels.

thats pretty much what i took from that article.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Ive done 80k on senator copies and had no issues. Like any product there's gonna be good and bad on the market. My copies actually came from a Tyre dealer in Moorabin for $1600 and I got an invoice with them, so I find it hard to believe they would be selling low quality wheels that are going to fall apart on the highway. It would put them out of business if they were having wheel failures

Its a different story with a dodgey ebay wholesaler who becomes untraceable in the event of a failure

Mitch089

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Because a lifetime warranty helps when this happens at 100km/h

If non genuine wheels aren't of a good standard, are big companies going to offer you a lifetime structural warrenty (and put their reputation on the line in doing so)? No they aren't. Given the fact they do obviously suggests these wheels are as reliable as any other aftermarker wheels they sell, otherwise it would drive them broke.

As above it depends where you get them from. If you get them from uncle george's super rim ebay store with no business address and a hotmail email as a contact then yeah, I think I'd look elsewhere.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I bought my car with fake VE GTS rims on it and replaced them with genuine as soon as possible as I didn't trust the fake ones. Plus they looked different, sharp edges rather than rounded and small things like that.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
yeah i think you should be right if you do buy them from a shop.

but second hand or ebay, f**k that. super mega fun awesome cool lucky rim store probably isnt the best place to buy this stuff from

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
reputable australian retailer = non genuine is fine.

ebay importer = non genuine asking for trouble.

personally i'd stick with genuine only, but if you're happy for non genuine cost savings i'd stick with shop fronts only.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I've hit some pot holes on the way back from Queensland (Queensland have the worst Highways I've ever seen) and you'd swear that it would have cracked, dented or at least bent a rim but nothing, the genuine rims are bullet proof, If you've got the money buy genuine, mates VX has fakes and has had to replace two of them already and not huge Queensland pot holes either.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
If non genuine wheels aren't of a good standard, are big companies going to offer you a lifetime structural warranty (and put their reputation on the line in doing so)? No they aren't. Given the fact they do obviously suggests these wheels are as reliable as any other aftermarket wheels they sell, otherwise it would drive them broke.

Short answer is yes because there are people who put the all mighty dollar ahead of safety, If the government minimum requirements were half decent you wouldn't get these cheap and nasty wheel and tyre packages.

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
F*ck fake rims you get what you pay for. If your gonna get wheels do it properly