Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getrag 5 Speed Gearbox Rebuilders?

Jason Knil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I'm desperately searching for someone who rebuilds/overhauls the 5 Speed Getrag Gearboxes (for the v6 3.8l) as I have done a changeover to a manual gearbox - unfortunately that gearbox didn't last. I haven't been able to find anyone near me in Ipswich Qld. Does anyone know a company, back yard rebuilder or anyone who rebuilds these. Unfortunately I've bought two second hand gearboxes already and one was toast right from the first drive (had been drifted and 1st and 2nd gear extremely noisy), the second gearbox is still going but has developed a grinding noise in the 2nd gear and I can hear what sounds to be bearing noises in the other gears except 4th and 5th. Can anyone give me a name or company? I'm happy to drive interstate or even send overseas if I have to? None of the gearbox companies that I've spoken to in Ipswich will even try. Thanks for any help with leads or names.

Jason

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. spoken to Mal Wood in Qld?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If it's any condolences I did a bit of a chase down of places in Melbourne to get my Getrag overhauled.

Parts were not able to be sourced and basically a "good luck" comment was said. Couldn't even suggest anyone either.

You might have some luck asking the older BMW crew about them as they were in the E30s and similar from memory.

Only plus side was, seals are easy enough to get, can't remember the wising but any good bearing shop should have then.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tried google?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mal Wood is on FB and replies to PM's. I've messaged him before.

Jason Knil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Tried google?
Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many Times. I have exhausted all possibilities I can think of. Google was the first. Probably why I asked here, eh?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many Times. I have exhausted all possibilities I can think of. Google was the first. Probably why I asked here, eh?
Time for a 6 speed upgrade? ;) :cool: