Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getrag tailshaft on solid rear vs

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have a vs getrag gearbox and associated bits including tailshaft pedalbox etc and after looking at the tailshaft i have to go with it, there is no slip joint at the gearbox just the stock rubber donut setup, how can the tailshaft change lengths when the suspension moves on a live axle car like mine. There is a conventional flange setup on the rear like my cars has now.
Did all getrags on vs's have independent rears ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Unless you're talking about the centre bearing, the VS doesn't have a donut setup, only VT onwards.

And yes, there were live axle Getrag setups (T5 would have had an identical tail shaft setup save for length).

Throw up a picture of this tail shaft.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
They do have the donut's rjk. Only for the getrag though
If they did ...was there a slip joint somewhere

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They do have the donut's rjk. Only for the getrag though

Check.

No slip joint should be needed, it's not like the rear should going up and down enough to change the length that much. Even so, the trailing arms would bring the diff forward.

Even the T5 I have sitting in my garage has a stopper to stop the shaft slipping.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Getrag has no slip yoke just the temperamental rubber dohnut and a fixed flange on the diff, the uni joint will move about 5 degrees but there is no real change in length as mentioned above, change the rubber whenever you have the gearbox or tailshaft out though because if they snap they go bananas happened to a mate of mine with vs getrag the dohnut snapped and the tailshaft destroyed most of the underside of the car!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Come to think of it too, it wouldn't make a difference if it had a slip joint or not as the centre bearing on the middle of the shaft is bolted to the car anyway on every single VN-VS shaft, that means that the front half of the shaft can't move at all anyway.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The change in length should come from the CV joint behind the center bearing. They can plunge in and out about 20mm

danbran

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS manual ute & push bike,
i know there are solid axle conversions that people have done,
but yeah there is about 20mm of movement i believe but i dont think it is needed???
also as you asked lots of vs's were solid axle

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The change in length should come from the CV joint behind the center bearing. They can plunge in and out about 20mm

That's what he's questioning. There's no CV joint, fixed joint where the 2 pieces join and a uni joint, only the rear rubber coupler to take all the strain/movement.
The length imo plays a small part, the changing angle between the diff flange and tail shaft would be more of a concern..... when it doesn't really move on an irs system.

If you have the room and a good mechanical knowledge it wouldn't be hard to make and balance it your own tail shaft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7DhP3M4AA it's all pretty basic

Last edited: