Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting car up on ramps

S

sc0pe

there are good ramps u can get, they are specifically designed with sportscars is mind. really long so low cars can go up easy. cant remember the name but ill search for a link

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i just put it on the grass
put a couple of pavers in front of the ramp so it clears the bumper
then drive on hoping they're straight :D

cracker

Reaction score
i just jack mine up and slide the ramps under the front wheels

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Ever tried to jack up a lowered car with a flat low profile tyre ? **** that sucked. I was going to just drive it over a brick but that could have damaged the rim so i had to look for a small enough jack lol.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
When using ramps on concrete, look for one of those expansion cracks put in when they layed the slab. drop the edge of the ramps in that slot or if no good, belt in a couple of old screwdrivers into the cracks for something to push the ramps against or just use old rubber car mats. Speaking of screw drivers and oil changes, if your old oil filter is a bit tight, and you don't have an oilfilter grippy thing, stabbing a screw driver straight through the filter from side to side = instant handle!

vr_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v6
i had the same problem with trying to get my car up the ramps on concrete so i just got 2 bits of timber that are about 3ft long and 2inch thick by 10inch wide place them almost level with top of ramp on concrete and it drives straight up with no problems at all :driving:

Phoenix21

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Stato, 2003 VY SS, 2017 VF SV6
we must have the good ramps i drove me car up on to the ramps last week when we changed the oil on my car last week and im only 16 but yer we put the ramps on the top of the driveway and thats all stones maybe that helped and way just thort i'd say that

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3
starkeyholden said:
When using ramps on concrete, look for one of those expansion cracks put in when they layed the slab. drop the edge of the ramps in that slot or if no good, belt in a couple of old screwdrivers into the cracks for something to push the ramps against or just use old rubber car mats. Speaking of screw drivers and oil changes, if your old oil filter is a bit tight, and you don't have an oilfilter grippy thing, stabbing a screw driver straight through the filter from side to side = instant handle!
You might want to be careful using a screwdriver as an oil filter removal tool. I've seen it done with a fairly nasty outcome, pretty much ripped the the top half off leaving the base still stuck to the mount on the oil pump.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
yeah but if that wants to happen it will cause when you use an oilfilter removal tool thingy ma bob they go onto the main steel part. My drive way is perfect for my car it has a bit of a dip in the end of it i caneither use that to slide under it or i can put the ramps at the end of it against the lip and drive straight up. The prob i have is that iget half way up and it starts smoking and wont get any higher or worse goes backwards...