Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting Digital Prints made.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I've just got a DSLR, and interested in getting some of the photos turned into large prints so I get an idea of how they are turning out, also hang some on the wall when I get the perfect shot.

Wondering how everyone else goes about printing there digital images. Im more interested in Large prints and canvas prints, who they use, sizes, quality and cost.

So far I've found "snapfish" by HP to be the cheapest, but have no idea on there quality.

There prices are for gloss or matte:
50x60 cms $24.95
50x75 cms $39.95

and canvas:
50x75 cms $149.95
75x100 cms $199.95

Does that seem reasonable, as I have no idea as this is my first time getting prints made, despite crappy 6 X4" prints.

Any advice is much appreciated :thumbsup:

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
Hey mate I have had the largest poster size printed at snapfish before and the quality is really good. if you want to go really big I printed out a massive poster at office works cost $90 including getting it laminated. not sure what size it is but its about 2.5 meters by 1.5.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What paper do they use? What guarantee do they give on fading etc?

I use a service that costs me a bit to use, but provide exquisite prints. Few members on here will vouch for their quality.

Personally, I would not use a system that takes one sized image and interpolates it to whatever size.

Just a tip, Harvey Norman actually do some good prints, not gallery style stuff but great for around the home(I'd never sell anything printed there).

If you want any info, shoot me a pm, happy to help out.

This is the latest piece(which a JC member bought) it is printed in metallic kodak, on a durst theta50(deliberately over exposed on flash hotspot to highlight metallic effect).

Last edited:

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I've just got a DSLR, and interested in getting some of the photos turned into large prints so I get an idea of how they are turning out, also hang some on the wall when I get the perfect shot.

Wondering how everyone else goes about printing there digital images. Im more interested in Large prints and canvas prints, who they use, sizes, quality and cost.

So far I've found "snapfish" by HP to be the cheapest, but have no idea on there quality.

There prices are for gloss or matte:
50x60 cms $24.95
50x75 cms $39.95

and canvas:
50x75 cms $149.95
75x100 cms $199.95

Does that seem reasonable, as I have no idea as this is my first time getting prints made, despite crappy 6 X4" prints.

Any advice is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Those paper prices are pretty good, but cannot vouch for the quality of the prints. As for the Canvas prints, they seem a little excessive.

How are the canvas prints supplied back to you? stretched on a frame or just rolled up?

If they are on roll, I'm sure I can get you something a little cheaper.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Hey mate I have had the largest poster size printed at snapfish before and the quality is really good. if you want to go really big I printed out a massive poster at office works cost $90 including getting it laminated. not sure what size it is but its about 2.5 meters by 1.5.

Thanks for that, I might just order a print to get an idea, its only 40 bux anyway. I dont think I need it 2.5 X 1.5 though lol, I just want a big print so I can get an idea of what Im photographing and the attention to detail that is needed at a large size.

What paper do they use? What guarantee do they give on fading etc?

I use a service that costs me a bit to use, but provide exquisite prints. Few members on here will vouch for their quality.

Personally, I would not use a system that takes one sized image and interpolates it to whatever size.

Just a tip, Harvey Norman actually do some good prints, not gallery style stuff but great for around the home(I'd never sell anything printed there).

If you want any info, shoot me a pm, happy to help out.

This is the latest piece(which a JC member bought) it is printed in metallic kodak, on a durst theta50(deliberately over exposed on flash hotspot to highlight metallic effect).

I've just sent them an email asking about paper quality, and warranty, also if they make the photo fit the paper, or cut the paper to suit the photo, but from there description it sounds like they make the photo fit the paper :(
Ill keep Harvery Norman in mind, just had a look at there prices, and they are about on par with the local Camera shop.

No doubt Ill send you a PM when I get more into it, at the moment Im a total noob just trying out how it all works.

That print looks awesome as, I love it:thumbsup:

Those paper prices are pretty good, but cannot vouch for the quality of the prints. As for the Canvas prints, they seem a little excessive.

How are the canvas prints supplied back to you? stretched on a frame or just rolled up?

If they are on roll, I'm sure I can get you something a little cheaper.

Thanks, Im assuming the canvas prints are just rolled up, but it doesnt say.
What sort of prices could you get, just for comparison.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Tom, you will find you may have to do larger format prints with "blank spaces" to get the entire image on without cropping, any decent framer will trim to frame anyway, so dont be too worried about that.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Tom, you will find you may have to do larger format prints with "blank spaces" to get the entire image on without cropping, any decent framer will trim to frame anyway, so dont be too worried about that.

Oh, thats alright, aslong as they dont just stretch the crap out of it to make it fit the paper, then I dont mind.
I got a response from Snapfish, the paper used is Silver Halide Paper, is that any good? lol I have no idea about Papers, I only want it for a test to see what my photo's turn out when massive so I can get an idea of what Im doing.

Thanks.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Oh, thats alright, aslong as they dont just stretch the crap out of it to make it fit the paper, then I dont mind.
I got a response from Snapfish, the paper used is Silver Halide Paper, is that any good? lol I have no idea about Papers, I only want it for a test to see what my photo's turn out when massive so I can get an idea of what Im doing.

Thanks.

Basically all they are saying is that they use colour neg paper, you really want to know the brand, ie Kodak, Ilford, Agfa.....

As for cropping, you should specify full frame or standard crop. easier just to get full frame, so you don't lose any image.

I can do your canvas prints for $150/SQM. So for a 20"x30" you're looking at about $55

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Basically all they are saying is that they use colour neg paper, you really want to know the brand, ie Kodak, Ilford, Agfa.....

As for cropping, you should specify full frame or standard crop. easier just to get full frame, so you don't lose any image.

I can do your canvas prints for $150/SQM. So for a 20"x30" you're looking at about $55

Ahh ok, Im guessing it will be HP paper, as Snapfish is a part of HP.

There was no option of full frame or standard crop, Ill wait and see how it turns out.

I ordered a 75 X 100 print from Snapfish last night, so I can see the quality, and get an idea of how my photos turn out at such size.

Ill keep you in mind when I take a photo worthy of going to Canvas lol, I definitly want to get one canvas print done soon for curiosity sake, Thanks.