Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting fuel down the side of my car?

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm not sure how this is exactly happening but I've noticed I'm starting to get a little fuel down the side of my car after I fill up to the top. I'm not spilling any and I'm pretty certain the cap is on correctly (I hear it click a few times) I've been driving this VT for about 3-4 years so it's not as if I don't know how to put a fuel cap on haha. The cap itself *looks* fine although who knows. Also starting to get a build up of **** within the fuel cap door area as well. I've attached an image below. I'm thinking a faulty fuel cap (somehow?)

8MhvVOf.jpg

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
How is the condition of the rubber grommet on the cap.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Don't fill it right up to the top ?

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Alright so I've cleaned the compartment (to get a better understanding of where it's coming from) All looks good. I think I'll take 'Commo Baba's suggestion and not fill it right to the very top haha. Also have a temporary spare cap on there to see if helps. Although it only happens when I fill up (once every 2 weeks, and right to the top)

WTFNc66.jpg

Last edited:

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
the white build up will be petrol and water mixture dried out..

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
You can't fill it right to the top as this will cause fuel spillage as you described, and it will muck with the operation of the breather system.

Normally the tank fills up and when it climbs towards the top of the filler neck, a sensing mechanism in the bowser pump handle will stop the servo pump to prevent fuel from filling any higher up the neck. The servo pump handle will go "click... click..." on the trigger and that's where you, um, are supposed to stop pumping fuel into it... You don't keep going.

I've actually never heard of anyone actually trying to fill the neck right up that far before...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
You can't fill it right to the top as this will cause fuel spillage as you described, and it will muck with the operation of the breather system.

Normally the tank fills up and when it climbs towards the top of the filler neck, a sensing mechanism in the bowser pump handle will stop the servo pump to prevent fuel from filling any higher up the neck. The servo pump handle will go "click... click..." on the trigger and that's where you, um, are supposed to stop pumping fuel into it... You don't keep going.

I've actually never heard of anyone actually trying to fill the neck right up that far before...

Hi
I do. That way l know exactly how much fuel l've put in, to work out litres to 100/km.
I don't get spillage unless when putting in, not when driving.
Lex

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

I do stop when it clicks. I don't try to keep filling haha. idk how it overfills to be honest with you (if that is what's whats happening)

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
over full I would say