Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting my VZ serviced next week any tips to save money??

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ 2006
Hi everyone,

im getting my car serviced next week and would like to know if theres anything i could do before i take it in to reduce the cost of it. I know chaning the oil/oil filter but i want to leave this to the mechanic

its a 2006 SVZ alloytech, and just hit 200,000, i drive lots :)

it hasn't been serviced since 178,000 :(

i have bought a fuel filter as the last service said replace fuel filter next service but have no idea how to put it in, any tips? all i know is this from reading some stuff on this forum
- detach a fuse.. dont know where this is
- turn car on until it stops
- take filter out(HOW???) where is it and do i need to jack the car up?
i havent done lots of mechanical things but would really like to learn how to do some basic stuff, thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also im getting the 195k service which is minor but looked through other things that it doesnt include such as
o Flush coolant
o Lubricate auto transmission shift linkage
o Flush brake fluid material
o Wheel alignment
o Flush brake fluid
o Clean air conditioner/drain tubes
o Replace Auto Trans. Oil
o Replace Auto Trans Filter – Kit

could i do any of them by myself or leave to the mechanic?

also my poewr stering fluid is dark brown.. is this easy to replace?

last thing is that when i go 90kms or faster and turn slightly to the right my steering wheel vibrates, i got a wheel balance but this didnt work any ideas?

THANKS SO MUCH TO WHOEVER REPLIES :D :D :D

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
Oil, get under car, unscrew sump plug, wait to drain, sump plug back in, top up oil.

Oil filter, unscrew metal cap, take out filter. get new filter, I put a bit of oil around the circle middle, put in screw on cap.

drain coolant by undoing plug on bottom of radiator. top up. turn on Car to get rid of air pockets. top up to I think 6 litres for VZs.

Fuel filter is behind fuel tank at the back. need a special clip to take off return lines.

those few things are simple.

get a tissue and wipe down wipers.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I recommend you get yourself a manual like Gregory's for example.

A lot of threads on here explain everything you need, just run a few searches.

The fuel filter is easy, don't waste money on a special tool. Push the line in, squeeze the clip and hold slide out. If you didn't stop the fuel pump then watch your eyes.

But yeah, simple searches will find everything you need. Cheers

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Good tip for the fuel filter is to rotate it before taking it out - this helps loosen the seals. As said above, squeeze and push - mine was easy to take out, no clip needed. But even though I depressurised the sytem quite a bit of fuel came out - it only leaked rather than sprayed but just be prepared.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
If you feel more comfortable leaving the oil change to the mechanic then maybe leave the fuel filter change to him too.
A novice can get into a bit of strife with the fuel filter change the first time around.

dutchysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu S II
these alloytec motors should have an oil change every 5000-10000 kms. youll kill the motor otherwise, anyone correct me if im wrong but its what ive been told a few times

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Any motor in my opinion, not just the alloytec.

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ 2006
iv done an oil change before on my old car but its part of a the service really so wanted to leave it

thanks though

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ 2006
thanks for everyones tips!! iv googled how to replace the coolant and they keep mentioning a knock sensor... do i need to worry about this or should i just by undoing the plug on the bottom of the radiator?

also what coolant would people recommend im in adelaide so can go to supercheap, autobarn or sprint or repco