Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gilbs' custom VS

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Latest update..

Engine is out and getting a bit more work thrown at it.

Tee'd up a mate to rebuild and port the heads further... gonna measure the piston to valve clearance so i can work out how much i can take off, and where. Possibly gonna slot in some new slugs dependant on this...

The cam is in need of more comp so hopefully it responds well to these mods.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Can't wait to see the power gains Gilbs.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
More engine work :p

When are you throwing a stroker crank at it haha

Yeah mate..

Not interested in the strokers to be honest. From evidence i have gathered the bang for buck isn't too flash

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here are the latest pics of my engine rebuild for those who are interested. Did 90% of it myself with the guidance of a couple of people in the know.

Stripped the engine right back. Checked and reused most components as they were only 20 000 kms old (since it was last rebuilt).

But this time i did everything how it should have been done! Crank linished, ACL bearings, bores brush honed and re-ringed pistons, ALL gaskets replaced, heads were milled 85 thou', intake manifold matched, pistons flycut, heads fully rebuilt with k-line guides, new valves, new stem seals etc. Heads were ported and only exhaust ports were polished, the whole intake system was carefully match ported all the way through.

I know what some in the know may be thinking.... Why stay with stock pistons? Well the dish in them is really SFA, and (to me) not worthwhile investing in flat tops. So instead i bumped up the CR via the heads. Not everyone's cup of tea but i don't care, got some very reliable advice from an engine builder from speedway.

Anyhow, here are some progress pics. It's now in and running in :w00t:

Image068.jpgImage073.jpgImage075.jpgImage079.jpgImage080.jpgImage066.jpg

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Nice work there, I cant wait for the results mate.
How many hours will it spend on the dyno this time around? and how much power do you think it will make, close to the 200 mark?

Last edited:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice work there, I cant wait for the results mate.
How many hours will it spend on the dyno this time around? and how much power do you think it will make, close to the 200 mark?

Thanks mate. Well it's meant to be a 'buget build', so money is saved where possible.

Should only need a touch up of the tune, prob an hour or so on the rollers. 200 would be great, but not gonna get too ahead of myself.. see what happens. Can already feel that it's much stronger thru the mid range, haven't revved it past 4k rpm yet

Cammed v6

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore v6 Auto
Great work gilbs i was very impressed with what i sa and heard. cant wait for my bits and pieces to arrive. hehe

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks mate. Well it's meant to be a 'buget build', so money is saved where possible.

Should only need a touch up of the tune, prob an hour or so on the rollers. 200 would be great, but not gonna get too ahead of myself.. see what happens. Can already feel that it's much stronger thru the mid range, haven't revved it past 4k rpm yet

You going to try E85 eventually. Obviously an upgrade of the injectors will be needed but I think you could see some great power gains from it.