Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Girl, 14, gang raped while walking home through Sydney park

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good grief , so if someone here calls me a Saffa , I might claim member abuse , :p. **** I'm a "tanned man", as well .:eek:

I've got the best personalized plate for you "JAPIE" if your interested. It was my old mans plate before he went back home.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I've got the best personalized plate for you "JAPIE" if your interested. It was my old mans plate before he went back home.

Ha ha , thanks though , one personalised plate on my Alfa is enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
That is fine if its the bit of the story where police describe height, weight, clothing etc of the perp they are after. If it's in the headline or first paragraph, could be taken to have different meaning or emphasis.

Soo a headline of "Police hunt black gang rapists" is not ok? Is it ok if it is "Police hunt caucasian gang rapists"?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Soo a headline of "Police hunt black gang rapists" is not ok? Is it ok if it is "Police hunt caucasian gang rapists"?

I know what you mean , Caucasian is probably OK , Asian , would be OK , but Black , oh no, that crosses a line , if they had put African , or Somalian , or Sudanese that would probably be OK also . Black seems to be almost akin to anything evil , but call a spade a spade ( no play on words intended) , and look what happens .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I read an article yesterday where the writer was whinging about using the term african etc in a police report claiming it was racist.

How else would police, media etc describe an African male? Surely descriptiveness in the media is required to make sure we know who we are looking for?

Victoria are only just getting over the reign of crap inflicted by do gooder eat lunch while state is burning Nixon where the word gang could not be used, nor African, sudanese etc in media releases. I still remember choking when reading a police report stating they were looking for a tanned man that rapeda young girl. They were actually looking for a Sudanese fellow. Tanned and black are two different things, sad you cannot call a black person a black person or an asian an asian anymore without the do gooders invoking the racism card.

Ancient history now, but way back during Gough Whitlam's time in office, NSW police issued a media release describing a wanted suspect as "Mediterranean" in appearance. Al Grasby, the then Minister for Immigration, wrote to the NSW Police Commissioner, complaining about the term "Mediterranean", saying that as we are all Australians, the description should not have been included, and wanting the media release to be modified. As the offender WAS Mediterranean (Italian, I think), and the description was very accurate, it stayed as it was, but it demonstrated the woolly thinking that existed over racial descriptions, even way back then. Nothing has changed.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Now, what was this thread about again???? Maybe this banter should be in the political section.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

How about neither? Better would be simply 'Police hunt gang rapists'. As has been mentioned before, a rapist is a rapist, they committed the crime of rape. Their racial background is inconsequential to the main focus of the story. The victim suffers, regardless of attackers background.

However I would have no issue with reference to ethnicity later being mentioned in the article particularly in description of people cops want to question, it can form a part of person's appearance for easier identification.