Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Go-karting

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Anyone into go karting?

Me and a mate are getting together a go kart team to start racing next year out at Newcastle. Its fairly expensive but we can split the costs on some things by doing it together as a team.

Just would like to hear any good stories, tips, or tricks that anyone may or may not have ;)

can't wait to get out there...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've had a drive in one, but that's about it :) very fun the kart I drove had no extra weight bolted on it and I'm really light so it could break traction anytime. I made about 4 fast laps with heaps of sideways wheelspinning action on every corner after the first lap but then got so over confidant with my seemingly Ayrton Senna like talents :p that I lost it big time on the 4th lap trying to drift right round a long flat out sweeping left hander, ended in the grass off the track :D that was the total of my go karting life :D. I'll allways remember how radical the cornering is in those things, the seat of the one I was driving was too big for me and I was being thrown from one side to the other like nothing, eye bluring vibration too :) pretty cool stuff

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I raced 2 years at newcastle
1 year prior to them ripping up the old track then the 1st year the new track went down.
Have they fixed the salt problems coming up through the track as you start coming up from the bottom? It used to get very slippery.

I was spending about an average $500 a week on the kart, running it every weekend.
My main expenses were rubber & fuel.

If you do want to have a cheap run with some mates go down tot he butterfly farm at winsor, no club member ships or AKA licensing required makes for some very cheap practise days.

I know a very good engine builder if your interested, used to build my engines

best of luck
Scott

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Hey Scott,

Am going to newcastle this weekend for the first time just for a look see. So i will be able to give you an update on the track later.

$500 bucks a week :eek:hmy:
I hope we can keep it a bit cheaper, i don't have that sort of money. At the moment we are looking at getting the karts in around 2 to 3 months. Putting in a few practice days and then start racinv next year. With my roster at work it is going to be tough. We will try to make the 6 newcastle championship rounds during the year and any other weekends we can get out for races or practices will be a bonus.

Thanks for the offer of the engine builder but at the moment don't worry about it. We have found a guy on the central coast, he has a shop in wyong and he has been extrememly helpful to us. He is helping us out as much as we can, i actually feel sorry for him because us newbies to the sport had him pinned down for about one and half hours last weekend asking all these probably stupid questions but he was really helpful and didn't mind at all. his name is doug i think.

Trev

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I think your using the one near the speed camera, top fella I think he has a track at home from memory the dirt racing used to be big up at kariong. There is Timmos Kart suppies at west gosford as well if your ever stuck for soemthing quick,timmo is a top fellow he races at newcastle. Keith Cook used to build our engines he is now building them from home, the good engine builders are much of a muchness with the KT100 J & S engines they are so heavily restricted on mods the blueprint basically just maked sure everything is in spec.

You start spending more money the closer you get to the front of the field, new rubber every meeting, and stuff like that. One recommendation have 2 engines a practice and a race when your learning, run the practice into the ground lap after lap till you get it right saving your race engine for racing.

There are no stupid questions just remember your the future of the sport if new people dont join it will die. They should be happy to help you they are a pretty good crowd, If you do buy from one kart shop all the time they will help you as well.

I have a kart setup sheet I have attached as well so you can take notes of your setup.

cheers
Scott

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Scott... you Champion.

Thanks for the sheet that will come in handy i'm sure.

We went out to Newy karts yesterday (mothers day i know but karts are more important ;) ). Your right, great bunch of people, great club, fantastic circuit. Everyone was willing to help and were happy to answer all of our stupid questions.

The kart shop guy we are going to is called Doug, and his business is called Precision Racing. He had a large team there on Sunday, he wasn't racing himself but he had about 3 guys racing in different divisions and he had about 5 other people helping as officials and flag marshals.

For your information, the track looked really good. No sign of salt coming up through the track however it had rained heavily on Saturday and that could have washed the track clean. there was a puddle on the bottom corner of the track. Probably the worst place for it too. Where they come over a crest through a tight S section then into a nasty left but due to the dip in and the camber of the road the grip levels there are increadible, add a puddle of water and you get instantly sideways, really amazing stuff to watch.

Anyway, i am now more determined to get out there. Will keep you posted.