Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Bye to the VY - Engine Fire

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Well today was not a good day, got home from the bank and could smell fuel inside the car.

Shut off the car and then saw smoke comming up from under to bonnet, got out and then started seeing flames.

The fire service only took 5 mins to arrive but the motor and electrics are still cooked.

Holden dealer has had a look and estimates will cost arround $10000+ to fix because everything has to be replaced including the motor.

Looks like i will be doing some car shopping shortly all depends on what the insurance guys say being as the fire was contained to the engine bay but there was alot of smoke which went into the car.

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
ouch man, whats agreed value, i think itll def be a write off

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
damn that sux how come its allways ecotec's that burst into flames.

batemada

Reaction score
Members Ride
ouch man, whats agreed value, i think itll def be a write off

Well i just renewed my insurance 2 weeks ago luckily, it is insured for $20000 which is possibly a little high but the car has less than 93000kms on the clock and has genuine ROH reflex wheels so who knows what they will say.

If they do write it off im not too sure what i will get but i might go away from having a commodore for a while, I like the look and drive of the mazda 6 wagon and the 1.8T Volkswagon Passat so will have to see what i find.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Nasty..Sorry to see the bugger all burnt up... I assume it's covered by insurance? either by pay out or fix. If it is, it could still be worth while as you'll have a recent donk going in it ;)

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
man that sucks. i would like to give you a dollar if your insurance doesnt pay out.
If you could convince everyone on this site to do that you would have $6689 towards a new car lol

batemada

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well ive just had a call from the insurance accessor and have been advised they think the VY will be a write off but wont know for another week yet while they complete all the checks and reports for the damage and checking the work done by my local garage when its been serviced to make sure it wasnt caused by a mechanical fault.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Just a word of advice to you all check your rubber high pressure fuel pipes as it is suspected that one of these failing has caused this fire.

Yep, have seen this happen to a Gen 3.
On a roadtest, pulled up at a set of lights and saw smoke from the guards.
Melted top of motor and wiring, but was fixed under insurance. (Due to near new).