Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good car to learn manual in

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
buy something with a HEAVY button clutch, cam that makes no power to 2000rpm, no power steer and locked diff.

once you master that - you'll have broadened your "able to drive car" range massively :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
^^
HAhahahahaha, so very very true.

V6 commo + t5 should be pretty decent to learn in. Gutless manual 4cylinders are just annoying.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Pulsars are alright, I used to drive it anywhere over 3 hours a day for work. You dont have to rev it much at all to take off, and when you want you can take of with wheelspin and through 1st and chrip 2nd haha. It has a factory LSD too :p. Pedal has a fair bit of ride but can be grabby at friction point. You would probably be right with a V6 and a standard clutch. I stuck a heavy clutch in it after pulling the auto out so I cant really say what its like.

Easiest car Ive driven was some toyota hatchback thing, probably early 00 model that I drove a few times before going for my licence. That thing was piss easy. Really smooth friction point. If you stall that you should just give up haha

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I learned in a series 2 VN Executive, with a clutch that felt like I was stepping on a rock. I am almost certain it did permanent damage to my left foot!

But, now I can drive pretty much anything...

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Buy anything, to be honest you will learn no matter what it is...
but whatever you buy, spend some time just riding the clutch in the drive way with no accelerater so you can feel where the pressure point is... Then you will be pro, i learnt to drive manual in a 3L nissan patrol haha slowest car i have ever driven.

Why not get a falcon? same gearbox and diff as the commodores, but the ford I6 is such a better engine then the holden 6's....???

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Falcon i wouldn't mind, they do have good I6's and they seem to have more power and economy than the commodore V6, but none for under $1k atm. I figure i'll lower the budget so i can grab one now, and get a better manual car later on.

Came across a cheap VN with a 5spd gearbox, body has seen better days, but it has the series one engine, plenty of low down torque in those things i hear! Other than that really cheap options are gutless little 4 bangers.