Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good duration but low lift camshaft

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Wow heavily biased towards exhaust side. Are all Ls cams like that?

Yep, very common with LS cams as the exhaust ports are a bit more restrictive than intake. Hence either more duration to even out airflow.

Stall issues with that cam are 100% tune related as it's very small.

If you're looking for bang for buck or to correct low lift (that is fairly low for aftermarket) why not try a set of 1.8 ratio rockers? Would move it to .560"/.580" of lift and should give you some more punch for minimal $$ outlay.

H

harrop.senator

Decent high ratio rockers are only $100 less then a new cam not even that cheap compared to some cam companies.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Cost of high ratio rockers might be comparable to a cam swap if you do the labour on the cam swap.
But you could fit quality high ratio rockers instead of the std steel rockers.
My very first mod was Yella terra 1.8 rockers which still worked when I fitted my 212/218 cam.
Sure it might not have have that top end rush but I was more concerned with low end torque for city traffic.

H

harrop.senator

Mace don't seem to sell their 1.9's anymore so it's around $600 + taller valve covers makes it a bit of an expensive venture.

Pending what the cam grinders come back with what they can do to my stick as if they can alter it to a 230/236 or so and .580-.600" lift for $150-200 I'll jump on it. If not I think I'll just go Pac 1219 springs and put the camshaft back in and deal with it.

If it's not enough I'll just start looking for some good used heads to hog out and deck and start choosing new cam lol.

H

harrop.senator

Anyone interested mum found the dyno graft that left so much to be desired lol.

Nice big torque curve surge as it comes alive at 3200 "yet stock stalls recommended" that graft to me says 3.5k stall was an optimum choice lol.

It gets so flat so quick. Good average HP but I'd love an extra 30-50 on top. Not the magical 380-400 number in itself but an actual 30-50 of real world performance as it starts to really pick up like a big cam car and you wait for it to climb but just doesn't happen lol.