Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good mods for certain things

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Hey guys just wondering what a few good mods are for;

1) Modding without directly effecting performance regarding power - i.e a shift kit

2) Modding in preparation for a Supercharger/Forced Induction in general. I know a bigger exhaust is obviously required, but what should I upgrade in the engine/drivetrain?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Best performance mod to do with out affectng power would be diff gears. They will give you better acceleration off the line, and all they are doing is moving the torque further down the rev range.

How far do you want to go? You can get away with stock driveline with small amounts of boost, but the sky is the limit if you want big boost.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
id have to agree with wamboin23 here, diff gears definitly would be the best mod

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
i think maybe your better of telling us what you wanna do down the track and that will help with what mods will compliment it if your planing a charger depending on the type alot of people sometimes go back to 3.08 gears depending on power and charger type so lets us in on the bigger picture and we can help more. ie if you planing 250-300kw+ forget the shift kit you will need to build a stronger box to take the power for any length of time

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Basically I really wanna make it a good sleeper. (Might do exterior after performance modding).
I have a mate who also has a sleeper (VS) and it runs 11.5 down 1/4 mile - absolutely raped a Skyline, there's a vid on youtube. I want to be running at least 12's by the time I'm done, if not faster than him. So yeah, basically gonna be modding everything lolz, but looking at small things first - like the shift kit and diff gears.

Edit: Yeah will be looking at 250+kw, and just thought I'd link these for your entertainment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L833ZWUykfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJENNf7qzNk&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
dont worry about a shift kit do a whole box build if thats the power your after that power will just brake the stock box you will be lookign to spend $2000-$3000 id also look at a stall converter as well you will need that when the time comes id look at some 3.45-3.7 gears you would need to be looking at some form of forced induction to make that power you could get your heads done and a cam to suit what ever type of forced setup you plan to use for now till you do the major stuff o and look at better fuel pump and injectors but wont need them till you add forced induction

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Alrighty I'm assuming the people who do F/I will help me out anyway?
And what do you mean by getting my heads done? Lol, but yeah, hmm what am I looking at if I don't want a new gearbox?

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
heads i mean slight to major port job new valve springs and maybe new valves will all go towards helping make power.
and wht do you mean in the first line ? if your talking cam decide what type of forced induction your going then contact a cam company and have a chat to them what they would work best if you mean what forced setup will be best there are a few but id look at turbo or a vortech style blower they will be kinder on your bottom end.

and you dont need a new gear box get yours built if you dont wanna do that then lower your expectations for the car and the times you will get at the track its simple the auto will just not handle that power to make them times for long for sure you can do it all on a shift kitted only box but expect it to go bang sooner rather than later alot of guys find they start having issues when getting near the 200-220rwkw mark

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Alrighty then. I'll probably get a gearbox, cam and forced induction all in one hit.
What I meant by the first line is that the people who install the forced induction will help me in terms of the power and whether my engine components can handle it

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Hey guys just wondering what a few good mods are for;

1) Modding without directly effecting performance regarding power - i.e a shift kit

2) Modding in preparation for a Supercharger/Forced Induction in general. I know a bigger exhaust is obviously required, but what should I upgrade in the engine/drivetrain?

How much are you prepared to spend?