Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Is it a good time to buy from a dealer? I found a second hand sv6 Black edition sportswagon they want 26990 I want to offer 23500-24000 what do you guys think

more details needed, year, condition, kms etc.?? Seems a bit high on the face of it considering they were around $36k brand new.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
If GM hadn't done so much to repress the Holden name overseas, it might have been worth something to another buyer but taking the brand on probably isn't an option. Its very different with names like MG, which was well known world wide.

yes, but new MG bears zero resemblance to old MG. They might try to market it like that (I laugh every time I see "British Design" in the adverts!)., but new MG buyers are buying a cheap product, not the badge.

the only cross over is pensioners who had a Rover 200/400 back in the day and remember MG, so buy another one.
MG enthusiasts (I'm not one BTW!) wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Is it a good time to buy from a dealer? I found a second hand sv6 Black edition sportswagon they want 26990 I want to offer 23500-24000 what do you guys think
I don't think any vf sv6 is worth over 20k now. 2017 black edition with low km's maybe.
Buying from a dealer is an easy way to lose money vs buying private haha. I got my 2013 vf sv6 with 100,000kms for 11k while dealers were selling them for 20k.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I don't think any vf sv6 is worth over 20k now. 2017 black edition with low km's maybe.

Sv6 2016 series 2 45000ks Black edition sports wagon dealer wants 26990

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I want to claim back GST my old man has a business so he suggested this as an option and he is financing it too

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I want to claim back GST my old man has a business so he suggested this as an option and he is financing it too
Negotiate on price and push the dealer to the lowest number you can get and if you’re both happy with it, you have a deal.

What tax refund/rebates you later get is your business and is irrelevant to the negotiations.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Personally, I'm losing patience with all the comments blaming wages, sales and cost of development. Yes those are factors, but they could have easily not been with some better business decisions by GM.

Wages for the factory workers were not excessive and would not have been an issue anyway if GM had followed through on a legitimate export strategy for the zeta platform instead of sabotaging Holden's every effort. Why did they even spend 1b developing a sedan at that point anyway when it was clear that the market was shifting to SUVs? In hindsight it would have been wiser to continue with the modified-opel-sedan way of doing things.

With the end of the VF, of course sales sucked big time as GM didn't have any competitive (new) RHD models and hadn't seriously developed anything since the GFC. The left-right hand drive cost argument is also exaggerated. If the car is designed properly then LHD or RHD build at the factory is a non issue. Even Holden was able to do that with our VEs and VFs. I honestly thought GM would wake up to themselves and ensure the next gen Camaro and Corvettes could leave the factory in either L or R configuration. Doing post factory conversions is too costly and made no sense what so ever. Extremely sceptical that 'GMSV' will ever happen in a meaningful way.

GM stabbed Holden and Australia in the back. Scum. I'll never forgive them for these last 10 years.
Only people to blame is the people in Canberra and state government for not supporting Australia business, why would you make a car or anything in that matter in a country that has the most taxes in the world, tax for land, tax for carbon emissions, tax for environment impact, tax tax tax, we simply can not compete against the world market prices its that simple, again free trade has killed our economy and the big dogs in Canberra are all about keeping foreigners happy screwing over their own people, ask yourself would you build a car here at a loss hell no take your business to a country that only cost half the price to make.
These ******** politicians are only in it for themselves not for you or I they have done nothing for 25-30 years but sell us out to balance the books to make themselves look good, now its bitting us in the bum and its only going to get worse.
We can finger point at V8 supercars, we can finger point Holden for not changing things up, the bottom line its our cost of living and taxes and lack of wages to support Australia owned businesses in the end people can only buy what their budget allows and due to free trade we can buy imported stuff for less, so you can only blame ourselves for not supporting Australia made.
We give away our gas and iron ore and black coal to China for peanuts then buy back steel for double the price why we pay the highest utilities prises in the world as our money waves good bye to overseas investors, so the big dog says hang on we going to tax you before the money leaves Australia and guess what that tax then falls on us pushing up the price. Australia isn't poor from feeding the poor its the crooks in Canberra.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Its your money. I always bargain hunt when I look for cars so Ive never used a dealer. If he asks for 25k+ (most likely will) I would recommend being firm on the 23-24k offer. Bring up your worries about Holdens future, price of other vf2 sv6's in the market, and he might cave if u give him your details and say you would pay through financing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Only people to blame is the people in Canberra and state government for not supporting Australia business...
Though government policy can influence a businesses success, the lions share (pun intended) of Holdens failure lay squarely at GM&H’s feel.

Simply put, Holden didn't cater to the changing buyer preferences nor did they make the VE/VF a global product which could sell in the required volumes. It remained, in the larger sense, a low volume local market product that couldn’t generate the needed sales that ultimately made it not worth the effort to continue building it.

As is, making the best product in the world doesn’t mean success if nobody wants to buy it in the required volumes. If anything, the Beta/VHS wars should have taught all businesses that lesson.

Technical superiority /= guaranteed market success o_O

As to our governments ideologically driven destruction of our country.... well we vote similar clowns into power every single time :oops: