Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
86719693_1779927855477065_5823104440734842880_o.jpg

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Price of wages and greedy CEO along with cost of utilities pushed them off shore, to many taxes and regulations Like ( Climate Change tax)
Besides all that commodore sales in the past 5 years are on decline only just under six thousand commodores sold last year. People just haven't got the money in this country to spend 40-60k for a new car.. They are feeling insecure of holding a job and the cost of living is making them broke so what money they have they holding onto it instead of helping out the economy.
Plenty of 40-60k new cars sold in aus just that not many people wanted Holdens euro version of a commodore and to top it off no v8

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
There are a lot of good posts, and people are gonna be upset for ages, and maybe Holdens will become sought after, perhaps people will bring their old Holden back to life out of guilt that for so long they took it for grantrd Holden would always just "be there"
Well, perhaps in reality Holden's death knell started decades ago? Reducing tariffs on imports, cars built overseas with tiny wages easily undermine Australia's high wage economy. Why were people not protesting then? Did anyone write their local politician demanding auto industry protection?
How is it that people from across the world were pointing out the very public demise across the globe of bloated and under researched auto industries, and no one took them seriously?
Holden built great cars, this is just one aspect in the continuing and changing story of holden. Australian's have a long history of loving cars, a factory simply closing changes very little, if anything, the holden may become even more popular now, a type of call to arms...

Get in yer squeaky Holden and make some dust clouds!

Thank god historical clubs are easy to join now...

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Good attempt at propping yourself up Trevor....This is the exact ad placed in the Advertiser today, minus the Dear Trevor part.
Lol, didn't they give you a personal email? I must be a good customer. I received mine yesterday.

Getting a job isn't hard, so don't go on with that line....At least once a month, I have a place offering me a job
But you have a trade 80-90% on welfare haven't got nothing to offer and they cant get their foot in the door because their people with more skills than them been stuck on the system because of places closing down, their people coming out of Uni with degrees with high certificates like lawyers, engineers who stuck at Maccas flipping burgers because there no room for them, Would you work for someone because everything you said prior suggest you couldn't because its your way or the highway, just asking if you would take advise from someone else because like I said your stuck in your ways.. Just asking that's all no harm attended.

I'm a jack of all trades I suppose you get that growing up on farms, the thing is I don't have a piece of paper to say I can do the job, but now with my injuries I cant even get out of bed some days. I love to make good money again but no one wants a cripple.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Skip to 8:50 to see what I’m on about.

FFS.....what a disgrace. How can she take her monthly pay cheque in good conscience ?

A fine example of a lot of what is wrong today.

Last edited:

Sansius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY12 SSV
So your claiming wages are part and parcel to operating a business and would have had nothing to do with the closure.....Well, I'll put this to you....Back in 1996/7, standing with a spot welder inhand, doing 6 or 7 spot welds per car, over 250 cars and earning $900 back then is acceptable, you're dreaming....

I was going to sleep after 2 days doing that job....That's how boring it was and a waste of company money

Yeah nah I'm saying wages weren't the weight that sunk the ship. As with many businesses I'm sure some of the payslips didn't add up to effort but eh that's what happens. Zeta vs Alpha platform development for example.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I'm still shocked about Holden departure as Ive been ONLY a Holden buyer since the HD 1965 demo I bought in 1996. Since then I have purchased over 12 cars all Holden.
Funny thing is I advertised my Vf 2015 Sv6 Storm with 3254 K on the clock months ago and still running the add today and only yesterday and today people have contact me about it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Though government policy can influence a businesses success, the lions share (pun intended) of Holdens failure lay squarely at GM&H’s feel.

Simply put, Holden didn't cater to the changing buyer preferences nor did they make the VE/VF a global product which could sell in the required volumes. It remained, in the larger sense, a low volume local market product that couldn’t generate the needed sales that ultimately made it not worth the effort to continue building it.

As is, making the best product in the world doesn’t mean success if nobody wants to buy it in the required volumes. If anything, the Beta/VHS wars should have taught all businesses that lesson.

Technical superiority /= guaranteed market success o_O

As to our governments ideologically driven destruction of our country.... well we vote similar clowns into power every single time :oops:
They didn't want to go globally as they already new they were going to shut us down.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
And so the price slashing begins.

Must say, an Astra for $12k drive away probably isn't a bad deal for a second car / runabout.