Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

got new pacemakers and hi flow cats with 2 1/2'' cat back and sounds crap ?

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
i just dont understand it ? the entire system is made in mild steel . i already had a 2 1/2'' cat back system and decided to get the rest done and that included headers and hi flow cats , the cat back system had a H PIPE system off the cat back and i was told that i should change it for increased power and torque and a different sound . So i had the H pipe section removed and re done in the new X can style coming off the cats , and now it sounds like crap ?
On the H pipe method it sounded more lumpy and more deep and more growly and it was making a sound like a barking dog when flooring it on 2nd gear LOL and sounded like a angry beast .
NOW with the update of the X can off the cats it sounds quiet and i even have hotdogs on the catback ? flooring it from 2nd gear sounds like a whistling turbo vacuum cleaner with a bit of growly grunt uptop ? sure it does feel like its got heaps more power this way and is an animal off the line and so damn fast now , but ive lost that beasty sound it once had .
i still have to go get this tuned as the engine light has come on .
what do you guys think about this ? has this happened to anyone here ? im thinking of upgrading the cat back system to a 3'' if thats gonna make it sound better i dunno . will this sound better or the same after tune ?

i honestly thought it would sound like a ####ing beast installing the bigger headers and hi flow cats , but now its just sounds comparable to a stock system :hmmm:

the engine is a L98 series 1 .

Last edited:

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
i know with catbacks they need carbon to buidup... especially mine ... sounded bad when i came out of the store... now it sounds animal... Goodluck man

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
H pipe in general to me sounds better but a few less kws than X pipe.

Put the H back on

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
What model Pacemakers and header dia?
What make and style (dia) your cats?
When you say 'x can' you mean cross flow perforated mid muffler?

Either get rid of mid silly can and put proper x-pipe away back after the tunnel brace, or like BlackVE76 says get rid of the mid can and put a decent H like this one there.

5C3A1383-CC56-468D-AC1F-E606B363BE6C.png

Wrong place for a muffler, definitely wrong place for an x-pipe.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
What model Pacemakers and header dia?
What make and style (dia) your cats?
When you say 'x can' you mean cross flow perforated mid muffler?

Either get rid of mid silly can and put proper x-pipe away back after the tunnel brace, or like BlackVE76 says get rid of the mid can and put a decent H like this one there.

5C3A1383-CC56-468D-AC1F-E606B363BE6C.png

Wrong place for a muffler, definitely wrong place for an x-pipe.
sorry its ment to be called X PIPE . not x can . dont know why i was calling it x can .
pretty sure the fitter said he put in 1 3/4'' PH5381
TUNED 4 INTO 1 DESIGN
the cats are a polished stainless steel , dont know what brand they are .
ill have to take some photo's or videos with daylight and post them when i get time .

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Good luck with it all.......as for the 3 inch set up, def a no from me. Its not a drag car . But plenty others on here will shoot me down.
Ready....steady......aim........

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
guy at work today measured the extractors pipe outer diameter and it was around 51mm outer so whats that make them 1 7/8'' ?
im getting it tuned tomorrow for $1100. should i go for maf tune or mafless ? what does that involve ?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
guy at work today measured the extractors pipe outer diameter and it was around 51mm outer so whats that make them 1 7/8'' ?

Mate those headers are not 2" OD at the header, possibly before they merge, but are 1 3/4, which is a correct size.

Seems expensive for a couple of hours tune only.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate those headers are not 2" OD at the header, possibly before they merge, but are 1 3/4, which is a correct size.

Seems expensive for a couple of hours tune only.

one other guy wanted $1250 for a dyno tune .

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
$1250 is your typical OTR CAI plus tune charge. You sure they're not quoting you product and service?