Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grab your bowling hat and houndstooth scarf.. Volvo to enter V8 Supercars in 2014!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It may just go full circle , and back to days of the Australian Touring Car series .

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Volvo did have a 4.4 litre V8 which they made (was developed by Yamaha I think) and stuck into the XC90. They stopped making it a few years ago.

That might be the engine they will use for their entry.

Yeah I thought Volvo's possible V8 contender, was the mid sized S80 all wheel drive with the Yamaha 4.4, but the engine was discontinued with the 2010 facelift to the bonnet.
Shoehorning the Yammie that fits nice in a XC90 bohemoth it into a little S60 that is spec'd with 2 litre or 1.6 diesel is going to be a challenge.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah I thought Volvo's possible V8 contender, was the mid sized S80 all wheel drive with the Yamaha 4.4, but the engine was discontinued with the 2010 facelift to the bonnet.
Shoehorning the Yammie that fits nice in a XC90 bohemoth it into a little S60 that is spec'd with 2 litre or 1.6 diesel is going to be a challenge.

Remember that this is now a silhouette type racing class, all the cars are basically identical underneath and only wear the skins of the cars they represent. Nothing at all in common with the actual car that drives on the road other then basic shape and the badge on the front of the car.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Remember that this is now a silhouette type racing class, all the cars are basically identical underneath and only wear the skins of the cars they represent. Nothing at all in common with the actual car that drives on the road other then basic shape and the badge on the front of the car.

Thanks for that, no I didn't realise the new rules, also found out it will be a mostly functioning S60 shell with the Yamaha 4.4:
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/faqs-volvo-and-v8-supercars

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Wonder if Toyota will be in the mix next?

str8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I was reading some other article today about the possibility of moving away from V8 based engines. About time too. Also apparently in part a move to bring the cars closer to their production variants. Can't believe they actually used that line.

I have a feeling it wont be long before it is simply Supercars and not V8 Supercars.

With the foreign manufacturers entering I think the series is headed away from big pushrod V8 engines and family sized sedans.