Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding noise as specific rpm

Jeubnoob

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 V6 VY Acclaim, Series 2 sedan.
Okay so I have trawled the existing posts and can't find an issue quite like mine listed. If there is a similar post feel free to link it!

So this issue started a few months back just on and off but it seems to be getting more pronounced. Basically there is a metallic grating/grinding sound that only happens right on 2000rpm and only when the vehicle is moving. I have occasionally heard the same sounds briefly at around 3000 but no way near as significant. It is also hard to say where the noise is coming from when driving.

I have had a look at the drive shaft and the centre support bearing looks a little worn, but I assume that would be a noise more consistent with vehicle speed rather than engine speed. At the same time I don't think it's an issue with the actual engine as it doesn't make the noise when stationery at all. So I guess the issue is somewhere around the transmission or the connection to the drive shaft. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the issue?

DOASKID

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 waggy
Grindy noise.

Okay so I have trawled the existing posts and can't find an issue quite like mine listed. If there is a similar post feel free to link it!

So this issue started a few months back just on and off but it seems to be getting more pronounced. Basically there is a metallic grating/grinding sound that only happens right on 2000rpm and only when the vehicle is moving. I have occasionally heard the same sounds briefly at around 3000 but no way near as significant. It is also hard to say where the noise is coming from when driving.

I have had a look at the drive shaft and the centre support bearing looks a little worn, but I assume that would be a noise more consistent with vehicle speed rather than engine speed. At the same time I don't think it's an issue with the actual engine as it doesn't make the noise when stationery at all. So I guess the issue is somewhere around the transmission or the connection to the drive shaft. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the issue?

Have you checked the brakes? Try jacking up the car and spin each wheel individually or remove them and have a look for anything broken.... Have a passenger or somebody stand on the street as you drive by to try located the general area of the noise.....

DOASKID

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 waggy
Have you opened the bonnet with the engine running, while you rev it to see if it's coming from the engine??
Have you checked the brakes? Jack up the car and spin each wheel individually and/or take off the wheels and inspect for anything broken. Have a passenger sit in the car or on the street as you drive by to try locate the general area of the noise....