Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding under load?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Then they explained theres nothing further they will do because there isnt any faulty part (yet). Until something breaks they wont do anything...

Pricks, but all they are doing is following protocol. Plus, in your warranty docs I'm prety sure I read somewhere that any annoying noises and rattles and the like arent actually covered specifically. It's up to the dealers discretion when deciding on whether to fix it or not. The warranty is a functional warranty.... if it's working, its 'fine'.
Customer service wise is sucks dogs balls though.
Maybe go with GreenAcc's advice.... see if you can break it, and therefore force the replacement (under normal driving conditions of course ;)).
Get the other mechanic to see if he can give you more of an idea on what the problem is.... but I wouldnt be spending any money getting it fixed mate. The same reason Holden wont touch it is the same reason you shouldnt. You could spend thousands and the problem still wont be fixed.

Sell it or break it.

Last edited:

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
You sound just like the dealer haha you're right though.. If I can figure out what it is, then I can figure out how to break it..

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I'm on the north side

I live near Aspley so if you want , I am happy to have a listen and see if I can point you in the right direction.
Sometimes it just needs someone with a bit of common sense to look outside the square and find these problems.
PM me if you want. I am at Mooloolaba to Tuesday then back home.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Check the gearbox mount, I had an sv6 making a very similar noise. It was hard to find as the mount has not actually failed. To cut a long story short there is a small piece of rubber between the upper and lower section of the mount, when the rubber ages and sags this small insulator wears out and causes metal on metal contact, a bad design and a bad idea to fix the bad design!
The local dealer couldn't fix the one I looked either.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
I live near Aspley so if you want , I am happy to have a listen and see if I can point you in the right direction.
Sometimes it just needs someone with a bit of common sense to look outside the square and find these problems.
PM me if you want. I am at Mooloolaba to Tuesday then back home.

I might take you up on that, depending how the mechanic goes on Saturday, Thanks..

Check the gearbox mount, I had an sv6 making a very similar noise. It was hard to find as the mount has not actually failed. To cut a long story short there is a small piece of rubber between the upper and lower section of the mount, when the rubber ages and sags this small insulator wears out and causes metal on metal contact, a bad design and a bad idea to fix the bad design!
The local dealer couldn't fix the one I looked either.

Did you just replace the rubber? Where did you get the part from? I will get this looked at tomorrow, sounds promising though, Thanks! :surprise:

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
I bought a new mount as that's what the owner wanted, but it could be easily rectified by placing some new rubber around the problem section, heater hose maybe. Cost for new mount was around $40 trade thru Gmh. I can see this being a common problem as the mount has insufficient clearance between the top and bottom, as soon as it sags a little it wears out the insulator and causes the noise. This particular car only had the problem when it was cold on the first few take offs, which made it even harder to find, but the noise is terrible when it makes contact.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
Just confirming that was an auto? Thanks!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I like your chances that this could be your problem schwanm. Actually i half suspect i have this problem as well as my car is nice and quiet when cruising and under light throttle, but when i go past half there's a rough grinding sound somewhere low down under neath. I was hoping like hell it wasn't timing chains or a big end, so i'll be cheering if its just a Gbox mount. How easy is it to access and replace / modify this mount ?