Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Groaning and clunking from rear end

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Hi Guys,

I just got my LSD diff rebuilt and ever since, there's been a groaning creaking noise coming from the rear while turning, particularly noticeable at low speed. If I turn tight enough I can hear clunking and feel it coming through the gear stick.

What the hell does this sound like?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just jacked up one wheel and tried to spin it. Doing this made the groaning noise, but jacking up both wheels didn't. So it must be the LSD cones/clutches are too tight. I suspect I may need to add a friction modifier, thoughts?

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
What your experiencing is called chatter the diff is binding up and trying to spin both wheels what your feeling and hearing is the constant grab and release of the lsd you need some limslip additive from Penrite it takes a few days to work it magic but it does the trick any good part place will carry it see link below
PENRITE LIMITED SLIP DIFFRENTIAL ADDITIVE 150ML | eBay

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
depending on how far you go figure on $750-$1200 from a shop

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Just tightly shimmed.. It wont break on you.... It will reduce with wear....

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
+1 on the friction modifier. It will clear up the chatter in no time. Dunno about the clunk though. Thats just backlash on the crownwheel and pinion.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cost me $800 for all new bearings, backlash reset, and reshimmed LSD. I had the centre rebuilt with new cones 6 months prior for about $350. So it's much cheaper to do it all at once.

By the way, forget doing any burnouts with cone LSD's even if they're tight. I had mine done to 100 ft/lb and after a few burnouts and hard driving it was down to 40 ft/lb.

The limslip did the trick for the chatter, thanks.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Cost me $800 for all new bearings, backlash reset, and reshimmed LSD. I had the centre rebuilt with new cones 6 months prior for about $350. So it's much cheaper to do it all at once.

By the way, forget doing any burnouts with cone LSD's even if they're tight. I had mine done to 100 ft/lb and after a few burnouts and hard driving it was down to 40 ft/lb.

The limslip did the trick for the chatter, thanks.

Lol yeah burnouts and LSD's dont mix.

Ive had my LSD built from second hand parts about 8 years ago, never had a problem. I dont do burnouts though.