Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTS-R a reality, gets LS9

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Surely you can get another ~9% power out of an LSA without needing to spend $22k?

Obviously then you have to compare to what happens doing the same to an LS9, then look at the resale value of a stock version of the last & best Commodore ever, etc etc. But "crate motors" are pretty expensive, just because they carry the "factory" label (& I guess warranty).

Precisely, spend $4k on a second hand VF GTS and you'll have more power than the GTS-R LS9 and with my flame suit ready 'a more streetable' setup. But, with the LS9 Camshaft & 2.3L blower it could easily spank a bolt on + tuned LSA. That said, it's not really the point of the GTS-R.

It will be kinda cool though.

So long as either my car or my wifes car can beat it, I'm happy.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
It will want to have 11's from the factory with 305's to try and get the power down as I hear the current GTS smokes them real easy as is......

Well over 100K for an LS9 GTS with 476kw, perhaps a savvy buyer takes a very low kay current model for 75K (there's plenty for sale) with all the same running gear apart from the LS9 and merely throws 8K at a walky 507 pack or even less if they want to put together their own an air intake, a set of 4 into 1's, cats and a good mafless tune and hey presto you have more than an LS9 anyway... for a few grand on top of your savvy purchase price. New LS9 cams are cheap too if you want to wack that in your LSA. Ok, it doesn't have a 2.3L charger but just saying....

Think you may be missing the point a little :)

Modify your existing VF doesn't make it unique.

The LS9 GTS-R would have collector value for a long time.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
Its the magic bits inside like special valves, heads, cam, pistons, rods, crank plus a dedicated lubrication system... not just the 2300. This beauty is engineered for more power and built to handle the serious work.
Devil is in the detail, good value at $22k versus hotting up a $13k LSA.
Personally think supercharging is a hilarious waste of time, money, energy unless you are drag racing. I'm much more interested in the chassis improvements.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Its the magic bits inside like special valves, heads, cam, pistons, rods, crank plus a dedicated lubrication system... not just the 2300. This beauty is engineered for more power and built to handle the serious work.
Devil is in the detail, good value at $22k versus hotting up a $13k LSA.
Personally think supercharging is a hilarious waste of time, money, energy unless you are drag racing. I'm much more interested in the chassis improvements.

Oh blah blah blah! Haha, supercharging my SS was a terrible idea! It's still way slower than the M4 and uses literally more than twice the amount of fuel it's shocking. But fun.

Will be good to see the GTS-R doing some track work like it's built for!

I'll finish with S55B30 > LS9, LT4, LS3, L77, L Anything.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
It will want to have 11's from the factory with 305's to try and get the power down as I hear the current GTS smokes them real easy as is......

having driven a number of GTS sedans... both auto and manual versions at PI circuit
yes both struggle with wheel spin from a standing start. No need to drop clutches
or brake it on the auto.. roll and go WOT = smoke :)