Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I know this is a thread dig but just wanted to say that it worked awesomely, even someone with no mechanical knowledge could do this, and all I had to work with was a socket wrench that came with a $20 tool kit from super cheap, and a screwdriver bit that came from a $10 pack at Bunnings. Now I'm off to buy a better quality steering wheel and airbag, probably blue and black leather to match my gear selector, handbrake and eventually my centre console, with chrome spokes.
WP_20130411_0021.jpg

redlightspecials

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series II S Pac
This Is INFO & what I am also wondering, WILL VY-VZ Steering wheels, fit, work, go Onto VX ? Anyone know? As if It can I am off down the wreckers 1st thing tomorrow to grab me dat VY SS Steering wheel I was susing out earlier today? would look neat in VX?

redlightspecials

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series II S Pac
Can Anyone confirm, Does the VY-VZ steering wheel, Fit, work on VX series II spac? as the Cloak spring & method used to remove it, looks very similar, except the VX wheels dont do Flat head screws in BACK like in step 1, they have T30 hex instead?

As I am wanting the VY SS wheeell I seen today at a local wreckers, If NOT I'll take just the auido controller arms? BUT I'd really like the WHOLE wheel, Taking off & replacing wheels cake, done it many time, BUT NEED to know will VY-VZ wheel fit the VX ?"

If SO LOOK out wreckers, I a comin to get that VY SS wheel in da morning...

redlightspecials

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series II S Pac
Hey all,
I know there is some threads around with some instructions here and there on how to do this but since i was doing this today i thought i'd take some snaps whilst doing it to help people along. Keep in mind this is just a guide and i take no responsibility if you stuff it up cutting corners and end up wearing your airbag!;)

For starters, disconnect your battery and leave for a period of time before starting, 10-15 should do it.
Also make sure that you have your front wheels straight as well as your steering wheel so you don't go putting it back on crooked.:)

1. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and insert into the slots on the back of your wheel. There are 2 per side, once in turn the screwdriver whilst gently pulling the airbag towards you, you will feel the airbag come away slighty from the wheel.Continue this until all 4 are done and the airbag should be free of the wheel.
RIMG1066.jpg

2. Once the clips are released you'll have to unplug the bag. Gently remove the yellow plug in the centre of the bag shown below, then remove the red wire also from the bag assembly. The airbag will now be completely free of the wheel.
RIMG1067.jpg

3. Place your airbag facing up away from the car just in case, heard a couple of stories of bags going off!:yeah:
Grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the screw holding the green wire to the wheel.
RIMG1068.jpg

4. Undo the clip connecting the steering controls shown below.
RIMG1070.jpg

5. Using a 30mm socket with extension undo the centre nut of the wheel.
RIMG1069.jpg

6. Thread wire looms through opening at the back of the wheel and gently slide the wheel towards you off the spline, the wheel should now be free.
RIMG1071.jpg

7. If you are changing your spokes on your wheel grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the 2 gold screws on the wheel as shown.
RIMG1072.jpg

8. Flip wheel over and grab the plastic case and just pull towards you, it should come free of the wheel and expose the screws holding the spokes in.
RIMG1073.jpg

RIMG1074.jpg

Work in reverse to fit your wheel back up, just remember not to hook your battery up until everything is back together!:D

ARE U 100% Its a 30mm SOCKET DRIVE on STEERING WHEEL COLUMN SEEMS AWFULLY BIG 30mm?
considering the VX has same Shaft/column & vx only needs a 5/8 or 17/18mm from memory.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just did this today to my VX2 clubsport I used a VY clubsport wheel/airbag, looks great. funny thing was the light/and beep went off then after turning off the ignition and then turning it back on it disappeared. no problems after 10+ starts, so if done this to a vt-vx and the light comes on before you start swearing and ripping it appart agian just turn off the ignition and turn it back on, it may save you a lot of mucking around.

For future reference when taking off the VY-VZ airbag pop the bottom 2 spring locks then the top 2 in this order, bottom right, bottom left, then top right top left, using this method you don`t even need to pull on the airbag and it fully pops out the springs not just slightly as when try and do both top and bottom on one side the top and bottom next on the other side.

Bantam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
My hubby had to replace the steering column today as the ignition locked to the point of nothing would make the key turn and got it all back on but when he started the car the airbag waring on the dash started. Can someone tell my why? He made sure he replaced everything. He hasn't taken it for a drive as yet will be soon to make sure its all good.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
You don't need to remove the column to fix the key barrel.

Was the battery disconnected when he did it?

Bantam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
We had to remove it as we couldn't remove the barrel at all as the key wouldn't turn a mm. It was completely screwed and to change the barrel you needed to be able to turn the key and we couldn't. Yes it was disconnected I even made sure of it.