Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

mark.chico

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
Awesome guide..... used this to replace my damaged spoke covers... cheers works well!

:surprise:
Hey all,
I know there is some threads around with some instructions here and there on how to do this but since i was doing this today i thought i'd take some snaps whilst doing it to help people along. Keep in mind this is just a guide and i take no responsibility if you stuff it up cutting corners and end up wearing your airbag!;)

For starters, disconnect your battery and leave for a period of time before starting, 10-15 should do it.
Also make sure that you have your front wheels straight as well as your steering wheel so you don't go putting it back on crooked.:)

1. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and insert into the slots on the back of your wheel. There are 2 per side, once in turn the screwdriver whilst gently pulling the airbag towards you, you will feel the airbag come away slighty from the wheel.Continue this until all 4 are done and the airbag should be free of the wheel.
RIMG1066.jpg

2. Once the clips are released you'll have to unplug the bag. Gently remove the yellow plug in the centre of the bag shown below, then remove the red wire also from the bag assembly. The airbag will now be completely free of the wheel.
RIMG1067.jpg

3. Place your airbag facing up away from the car just in case, heard a couple of stories of bags going off!:yeah:
Grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the screw holding the green wire to the wheel.
RIMG1068.jpg

4. Undo the clip connecting the steering controls shown below.
RIMG1070.jpg

5. Using a 30mm socket with extension undo the centre nut of the wheel.
RIMG1069.jpg

6. Thread wire looms through opening at the back of the wheel and gently slide the wheel towards you off the spline, the wheel should now be free.
RIMG1071.jpg

7. If you are changing your spokes on your wheel grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the 2 gold screws on the wheel as shown.
RIMG1072.jpg

8. Flip wheel over and grab the plastic case and just pull towards you, it should come free of the wheel and expose the screws holding the spokes in.
RIMG1073.jpg

RIMG1074.jpg

Work in reverse to fit your wheel back up, just remember not to hook your battery up until everything is back together!:D

Reardo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7L Calais II, VE 6L Berlina
Oh ****. All back together and the Airbag warning light is on and beeping. Any ideas of what did wrong? I pulled it off and double checked it and it looks good.:help:

vsute97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Blown SSV Ute
Hey Guys, how does the yellow clip from the air bag come off? do you get a screw driver underneath in and it lifts completely out of the air bag or does it unclip?

Dont wanna wreck the yellow clip thats all.... cheers! ;)

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Should pull straight out away from the airbag - be gentle.

MiroNeto

Reaction score
Website
www.omegaclube.com.br
Members Ride
Holden VY Commodore 2004 (Omega CD in BRASIL)
This post is usefull for me!

Here in Brasil the autorized service is much expenser...

I want to fix my steering audio controls, and dont knew to remove the wheel...

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks for the help. This worked awesome when I swapped my audio controls with brand new ones. Wouldnt have tried this without this guide.

The new audio controls work properly now, and theyve made them more like a cushion style button, rather than clicking style.

Guys who want to swap their audio controls, a couple of hints

First, steering wheel doesnt need to come off as already mentioned, just the airbag part. I didnt unplug the airbag either. I just removed it from the steering wheel and rested it on the top of the steering wheel whilst it was still plugged in. I disconnected the battery first of course and waited 30 mins because i was a bit paranoid

Also, in order to remove the air bag, if anyone has issues, I found it heaps easier removing the plastic around the key/ignition/wiper stalks, to allow more room for me to get a flat blade screwdriver in rear of the steering wheel. I think that was already mentioned earlier too.

That was just a matter of popping the top half of the plastic off upwards, mine just unclipped easy.The bottom half plastic which surrounds the key area, has one phillips head screw at the bottom of it, and two locating plastic clips which (once the screw is removed) you need to slide the plastic toward the steering wheel whilst lightly pulling the plastic downwards and it should pop off from the holding clips

Once the ignition plastic shrouding is off, theres loads of room to get a flat blade to the rear of the steering wheel. That was the easiest part of the whole job. Stuck the flat blade in the bottom right hole and (from memory) moved the flat blade left with slight force, and at the same time, pulled the air bag from the front as i done it, and it popped that corner out. Then repeat for the other 3 holes, and the hole air bag just comes off. At first I thought I would be turning a screw of some sort with the flat blade, but its just a plastic tab which has tension on it, and releases the airbag clip as you lever it to release.

Once airbag was removed, as mentioned, rested it on the top of the steering wheel

The audio controls are visible, and you just remove the 4 phillips head screws holding them in.

You then unplug the one red connector (theres only one connector, which connects to the right hand side audio control)

Once thats unplugged, you need to remove the audio controls. This was a bit of a pain without taking the entire rear steering wheel cover off. What I did is the lazy way, is on the rear of the steering wheel, there is a cover which clips on the back of all the spokes as seen in Step 8. of the above guide. What I did is just unclipped the bottom left and bottom right part of the cover, and then worked the wiring downwards bit by bit on each side to free the wiring, and then the controls came free. Then do the reverse to reinstall the new ones

The airbag just clips back in, no need to use the screwdriver again either

Mikaeel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Monaro
anyone know where i could get a new leather steering wheel for a vz monaro from??? other than a Holden dealership thanx!