Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

DBA Dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
An update - just to test the waters, I put a set of genuine leather trimmed spokes on eBay. They sold in under 24hrs! The buyer was delighted. They look very smart and a good long-term resolution to those pathetic painted spokes.
I'll throw a new thread up on these leather-lined spokes and the audio button-fix with roo leather - to see if anyone wants same. Doesn't matter if no-one is interested - but worth offering.

DBA Dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Pics as requested

20140829_184030 (Medium).jpg20140831_105146 (Medium).jpg20140811_172353 (Medium).jpg20140811_172439 (Medium).jpg20140831_105330 (Medium).jpg20140912_161059 (Medium).jpg20140913_091922 (Medium).jpg20140913_093149 (Medium).jpg20140929_212527 (Medium).jpgSome pics as requested.

1. Kick-boxing mit for a personal trainer
2. Custom laptop case for a lappie with a removable screen.
3. Climbers knife pouch with a karabina securing point.
4. Custom-designed and built A5 compendium with cards holders (LHS), pockets behind, twin gusseted pouches (RHS), pouch behind, pen holder, key ringclip, heavy-duty hand loop, zippered for closure and edge-trimmed with double-looped roo leather.

Yell if you need more. Again - sorry for the delay in uploading these pics

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I know this has been covered putting a VY wheel into a VZ, but does this still work putting a VZ wheel into a VY, if so what other mods need to be done?

Straight fit- no mods required. Its only the VY Steering Wheel that needs modding to fit VZ.

Sheriff69

This Town Aint Big Enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Great thread, just need to go and buy a new set of radio control buttons and a new set of the steering wheel spokes as the paint is wearing off mine.

I have one question though, is there a 'master spline' on the steering wheel so that it goes back on in the exact same place?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Double post deleted

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
No master spline from memory
Easiest ways to realign steering wheel back to where it was, scribe/scratch a small line from wheel onto steering column shaft or just a thin line from a marker pen will do.
When you refit the wheel just make sure your marks line up and job done

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Best set of pics I've seen for VY horn pad removal. The silver spring clips were obviously designed by Bastards Inc. I had to try many different tools to poke, prod and pry until these let go of the securing pins. I've had audio button issues for a long while and was not paying $65 for second hand button assemblies of unknown serviceability. I sourced new (higher spec'd) "tactile" switches from my local electronics supplier and replaced the failed switches. Fully functional audio controls for $5.70 and a couple of hours labour. Cheers.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Excellent quality pics. I had a broken "hinge" on my volume up button, whilst replacing the switches with better quality ones I repaired the broken switch with some five minute Araldite and two thin pieces of cable tie trimmed to straddle across the old hinge sections, this worked great and is stronger than the original and has similar "feel" also.
The PCB's inside these audio controls appear to be made by VDO, unsure who designed and made the plastic mouldings but they leave something to be desired re quality and durability. IMHO VDO chose switches with a good feel but totally under-rated specs for heat. You can pull the switch tops off and with some care clean the circular shaped contact by lightly rubbing it over some well -worn wet & dry paper. This should bring back down the switch contacts high resistance allowing them to operate properly again.

Gouldinator1

Strip Sack, Miller!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6
I thought I would post up these photos as a few asked and there was no clear answer.

VZ Steering Wheel back
EmuKGSg.jpg

VY Steering Wheel back
T3XACjE.jpg

From what I read in this thread only the top spines need to be filed down when putting a VY steering wheel on a VZ. But I went the whole hog and made all five spines on the new VY steering wheel the same as the old VZ one.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Good work Gould, just bought a 'VY-VZ' wheel without checking they were different, got lucky.
Nice work also for Mr Cheese.
Not sure on the leather-trimmed spokes. It brings the wheel back to looking like the rubber Executive wheel rather than an upgrade. Too much of a good thing there, but good idea re: button fix, repairing them using a solid-setting glue or bridge is just setting up the next failure sooner.