Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
There is an adjuster on the VY's. Follow these steps:

1. Throw the car in Neutral
2. Jack the whole rear of the car up on stands (dont use Holden jacks), remember to put blocks on the front wheels too just in case
3. Take handbrake off
4. Remove the rear wheel, remembering to make aligning marks
5. Remove 1 hand brake adjustment access hole plug (out of 2)
6. Tighten adjuster screw until wheel locks
7. Loosen adjuster screw about 5 clicks so wheel can rotate freely
8. If you then need to adjust the hand break at the handle
9. Install wheels and remove stands and blocks and your hand brake is now adjusted!

That's the best way to do it, the hand brake adjustment at the actual handle you can use the next few times then.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Apparently there isn't the toothed wheel that adjusts it at the shoe.

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Mmm, define these handbrake adjustment access hole plugs? What do they look like?
Will try and get a pic of it at some stage over the next week, not much chance tonight as I'm going to the cricket straight after work. Funnnn.

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Oh dear, looks like this may be yet ANOTHER case of me failing to follow instructions correctly. Did some digging and found this pic of the assembly that fits in the gap at the bottom of the horseshoe shaped brake pad setup. I'm guessing the toothed bit is the adjuster that you can access througha hole in the rotor. I had the whole thing in pieces and didn't realise that it could actually be adjusted out. It's the EXACT thing that I was looking for too!!

Shame job guys. (Wal hangs his head in shame)

Attachments

• handbrake adjustment.jpg
    handbrake adjustment.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,185

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There ya go.....

c@l@is

Reaction score
I have adjusted mine about 4 times over 12 months, always works great after a adjustment BUT only for a month or so then fails again, im about to do it again, might get new handbrake pads this time as I think mine might be out of shape or something.. Damn VY handbrakes, they suck

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
c@l@is, how do you adjust your handbrake? Using both adjusters (inside and out)?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You either drive with the handbrake on or the cable is stretching from pulling it up too hard. Handbrakes are static, they cannot wear out unless you are moving with it applied. Oh, and they are actually called a park brake, because you only use it when parked up. In the US they call them emergency brakes, but applying it at speed can be more lethal than having no brakes....

c@l@is

Reaction score
c@l@is, how do you adjust your handbrake? Using both adjusters (inside and out)?

Yes mate both sides, rotors off .. will try with rotors on next time.

Plus I have never bothered to touch the 10mm adjustment on the handle, I will attempt it again later today if I get time coz its starting to **** me off again !!..

c@l@is

Reaction score
You either drive with the handbrake on or the cable is stretching from pulling it up too hard. Handbrakes are static, they cannot wear out unless you are moving with it applied....

The car had no handbrake when I bought it, I suspect someone has driven on it in the past and warn the shoes unevenly