Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard restarting VR...1 hour wait.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the tps high volts wont help with starting if it is doing it when tps is closed if its too high the ecu will go into flood clear mode and wont inject fuel.

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Heres the pics, To put back together I would re-straighten the contacts, then put the new CR2032 in, then glue+silicon the shell back together.

To be honest though, We both needed new keys, so I got both keyheads replaced.

The issue I had was that the keyhead wouldnt work (the battery was DEAD) enough to even send the receiver (at the locksmith) the BCM PIN.
So, rather than paying $33 and providing a shitload of documents to my local holden dealer, I bought a $4 battery and held it together by hand (and the grounding screw) and pushed it into the machine, We got a clear reading of the BCM PIN, which was enough for a new keyhead. - of course we wrote them down!
I keep the pictured items as spares (just in-case)
Today my blonde wife, decided that HER glovebox wouldn't open, and to use MY KEY to try and open it - Now I have a snapped key :bang:

Well, as promised, here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMGP1134.jpg
    IMGP1134.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 136

Hotblooded_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 3.8 Series2 Executive Commodore Wagon
I havent fixed the starting problem yet Sharty..i'm saving up to have the TPS replaced because i'm dead sure delcowizzid is right about what he said in his last post (thanks Delco) that the ecu thinks the motor is flooded and wont deliver any more fuel because the TPS is faulty..and thats why i have to pump it like crazy when starting it and it finally goes with belching heaps of black smoke and backfiring like its starved..so Delco thanks buddy i'll get it done soon as i scrape up the moolah...and OZ..thanks heaps for the key pics..looks like a good fix to me..i'll see if i can do the same thing. as long as my missus hasnt used my soldering iron to straighten her curls..lol
ps. brunette wives do the same dopey things as blondes too you know..but with more excuses..lol

Hotblooded_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
PROBLEM SOLVED GUYS. MANY THANKS TO THE RESPONSES AND SUGGESTIONS FROM OzJD, vr_shart, delcowizzid, calais_cruzin, NickVR and VrWagz1.
After repairing my remote\key\circuit board and loading it with a fresh battery I found I had less error codes. Also I removed the passenger side kick panel and removed the 2 screws and plate hiding the MemCal and pushed it firmly into place to make sure it was contacting ok. It seemed ok but who knows, because after doing all that and clearing the error codes (by removing the engine fuse for 30 seconds) I had a fresh error code and also this time they started with 12 (which it had never done before) The only error code after 12 I got was 16 only...Coolant Temperature Sensor (Voltage Unstable).
I rang my local Holden dealer (Peter Page Holden of Elizabeth) just to see what outrageous price they would give me so I could compare to cheaper car parts outlets and to my surprise they quoted me $17 for a V6 VR Commy Series 2 Auto Coolant sensor. I wasted no time ripping down and picking it up in case they had made a mistake..lol
I replaced the sensor today and the car runs far better and restarts without a hiccup. The coolant temperature is steady on 1/4 gauge and today in Adelaide the weather is 35C, plus I idled the motor for at least 30 minutes without it going much over that 1/4 mark before the thermo-fan kicked in for a few minutes to take it just below 1/4 again. It would have overheated before replacing the sensor! The thermo fan doesnt kick in on a cold motor 30 seconds after starting now also like it was doing before..it seems to be working normally.
So all up guys, thanks so much for all your suggestions and classify this post as fixed with a well done to all responders.
If my fuel usage remains high now I would say the TPS might need replacing (even though there is no error code for that now) or more likely the Fuel Pressure Regulator will be the culprit and I'll replace it. Thanks to all and have a good safe Easter.
Hotblooded_VR.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Glad to here it's fixed mate. Even better to hear it was a fairly cheap fix too.

Hotblooded_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well OzJD the re-starting problem seems solved by replacing the coolant temp sensor. She fires up like a dream no matter how hot the motor is after sitting for awhile. I AM still blowing black smoke if I rev her up and I AM still using far more fuel than I used to, plus she smells very rich at the exhaust, so as you mentioned before I'm checking prices on the Fuel Pressure Regulator as I think you're right on that issue and it needs replacement, even though there is no leakage from it. All I get now is a code 12 too.
Quotes so far in Adelaide on a FPR are...
Holden Dealer...$168
Parts Boys (formerly Right Price Auto)...$104
Autobarn...$130
SuperCheapAuto\Motor Traders...$134 Bosch or $91 for a GBC part
Sprint Auto...$100
U-Pull-It (Self serve auto dismantlers) $11 but condition could be anyones guess..lol

Needless to say I'd like a good replacement, but $168...I dont want it gold plated grrrrrr.
As we speak I'm saving up for one...I'm tempted to try the $11 U-Pull-It one...and for that price I could grab 3 for $33 and hopefully at least 1 of them might be ok...whats your thoughts on the matter?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Quotes so far in Adelaide on a FPR are...
Holden Dealer...$168
Parts Boys (formerly Right Price Auto)...$104
Autobarn...$130
SuperCheapAuto\Motor Traders...$134 Bosch or $91 for a GBC part
Sprint Auto...$100
U-Pull-It (Self serve auto dismantlers) $11 but condition could be anyones guess..lol

Needless to say I'd like a good replacement, but $168...I dont want it gold plated grrrrrr.
As we speak I'm saving up for one...I'm tempted to try the $11 U-Pull-It one...and for that price I could grab 3 for $33 and hopefully at least 1 of them might be ok...whats your thoughts on the matter?

Upullit for the win.:thumbsup: