Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to Start Problem

R

raven_au

Howdy all,
Some time ago i saw a post in regards to a hard to start problem with the VX.
When driving a long you stop to put petrol, when you go to start the car again, it struggles to kick over. I have checked the battery and alternator and all seems good. Any other feelings about what it could be
Cheers :whistling

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
little bit more info required...

Does it "struggle to" like it's a flat battery?

R

raven_au

It does sound like it's a flat battery, what I normally do is have to start the car in netural, but even then it doesn't want to turn over. Sometimes it also resets the trip meter as well

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
well if you have a battery charger, pull it out stick it inside overnight (pref in the garage) and let it charge....mine is the same and it's cause I left the glovebox open and the little light flattened it over the 2 weeks I didn't use it...twice. but when I charge it for a while it strarts nicely...try that then you know....they don't like being flattened....

Otherwise, theres a list as long as a peice of string...just gotta start with a multimeter an work your way through...

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Have you had the battery checked properly by a battery place or just looked at the levels? & how old is the battery? Our quality *cough* australian car batteries rarely last >4 years.
I had the same problem. on hot starts usually after stopping at a servo or something, car would turn over a couple of times then stop. just wouldn't catch. but usually started ok first thing in the morning. Went on for ages (~4months) gradually got a bit more frequent until the battery finally died on one cold winter morning :cry: When it started to get near the end, the trip computer display would fade out when you try to start it as well.
The trip computer will tell you the voltage is OK when the engine is running but I assume this is just cause its being charged by the alternator.
As slowr8 said, try to get your hands on a charger, and see if it makes any difference.
mitch.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
I Have Similar With My Vt. If When You Turn The Start Key It Takes A Couple Of Seconds Before It Turns Over, It Will Mostlikely Be Your Body Control Module. If It Is Sluggish To Start I Would Do What The Other Guys Have Said Regarding Your Battery And If No Improvement Get A Load Test Done On It. Sometimes A Battery Will Prove Good But Not Under Load. Any Autolec Shop Or Mechanic Should Be Able To Do This. If That Is Ok Then The Next Step Would Be Your Starter Motor. Just My Thoughts On Your Problem!

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i only had my VX for a few weeks and it does the same.... take the tops off your battery, get a mate to turn the ignition key and look at the water in the battery cells.... if you see bubbles while the starter motor is turning over then that cell that bubbles is about to collpase..... aslo look at the cells while the battery is getting charge after starting.... if you see any cell with bubbles, then those calls are on the way out too..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just buy a new battery, a whole $80 wont hurt your pocket too much, then if it is still playing up, at least you know you wont have battery problems for a while :p

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have to agree with minux. just go out and buy a battery.

i had my car completely die, lost all power when trying to start it up sometimes which generally meant i had to disconnect the battery and reconnect.
it happened twice over six months and everyone told me it was my BCM (Body Control Module) but i refused to believe it.
i ended up finding out that the connection points on the back of the ignition barrel (those metal flaps your key rubs up against) were loose and needed to be reset.
10min job by holden and over a year later hasnt happened once. *touch wood*