Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to start

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Cheap6 said:
Inside the tank the fuel pump slides into a rubber, push fit, 'joiner block' doesn't it? Maybe that is leaking. I think that there is also a check valve in there somewhere too. (Wish I could be more specific. Damn memory).

Not sure about VR, but if the fuel pump relay fails on VN/VP, the engine will be slow to start until oil pressure is generated thus closing the switch that provides an alternative power supply to the fuel pump. Easy to check.

Less likely:

Coolant temp. sensor but I would expect a code from that.

PCM.

Poor contact between key and the pick up around the column lock. Again I would expect a code.

What happens if you turn the key on then off, then try to start?

What happens if you squirt an alternative fuel supply, like carb. clean into the manifold and then try to start (too much will flood and cause a slow start also, so about a one second squirt only)?

Is it different hot to cold?

its mainly when it sits for a wile. like if i switch it off now, i can start it with in a few seconds, but the key head has been replaced, and the contact seems to be fine, the problems have started since we've replaced the pump, so its sumin inside the tank im pretty sure so is the mechanic :p

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
it sounds like you have already spent alot of money so heres a cheapy for you.
remove the throttle body and take off the ic valve and clean it with carby clean, you will find it will be gunked up with carbon. while your there clean your throttle body will cost you $20 max and take about 2hrs from start to finish.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Charg'd_VT_Xu6 said:
mine used to do it i just put it into neutral and it would start strait away

Thanks.. this actually works for me!!

I think my park solenoid might be f*d. Works sometimes but then sometimes it doesn't :S.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
nevamind i got sold a dodgy pump, since the day i bought it it was dodgy, they thought it was the fuel pressure regulator, but it was the pump not holding pressure and taking too long to build it up, pump replaced today starts first go ever go :D throllte body and iac valve been cleaned but im going to get my injectors cleaned off car :p