Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hard to turn the key

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
cant see how the heat affects it. but its something i can live with it. ill just think of it as an immobiliser.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
i rekon it could just be a faulty or worn or stupid sticky ignition barrel, mine does this quite often, all i do is pull out the key and reinsert and away we go. Only happens if i turn off the car and need to turn on again (such as at the petty station).

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
cant see how the heat affects it. but its something i can live with it. ill just think of it as an immobiliser.

Heat affected ignition lock is a very common fault mostly in European built/designed vehicles. Lock manufacturers often use plastic components in the locks, the heat causes the plastic to soften and deform. Any half decent auto locksmith can rebuilt these locks using components that are not heat affected.

jamese_boy345

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Supercharged
yeah mine did the exact same thing eairly last year. it ended up having the barrol replaced had to get RACQ out to get it goin they where goin a tow it but ended up geting it going befor the towie got there.

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
not heat affecting the barrels this all the "bling" hanging of the end of the ignition key

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
not heat affecting the barrels this all the "bling" hanging of the end of the ignition key
iv already done that once before in my 1st car, i had a serious amount of "bling" on my other keys now iv only got 2 other keys on this ring.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I had this exact problem the other day during the heat. It was a prick. Bloody thing would not turn. I forced it so hard I thought I was going to break the key and it finally turned with a clunk. Took me a good 10 minutes of trying. It was like the steering lock wasn't fully releasing. It was a bit dodgy the next few times after that as well. Hasn't been bad the last few days.

big dan

Reaction score
we've had this problem before.my wife couldnt budge it.got towed to a friends workshop.he says wear and tear causes a ridge inside the barrel.after forcing it loose he cleaned it up with a die grinder and its been smooth as silk since.

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
just put it on the on going list of problems with commodores, or what i like to call it the never ending story XD

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
ohh the 'bloody key wont turn!' saga. I just had my car replaced with a aftermarket ignition barrel! it has been 3 weeks in waiting..!!