Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer refitting

vs97s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim s2
Hey, I have a vs 97 auto, i have a small problem, my crank angle sensor stuffed up, I got the balancer off easy enough and replaced the sensor now I can't get the balancer to align up properly, I've tried just slipping it on a little bit and turning it to try and lock it into the key and the grove but I'm having no luck.

Anybody have any other ideas I can try?

Cheers :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I've always just lined it up on the keyway and then pushed it on. And used a mallet to persuade it on. Then use the old bolt to seat the balancer the best of the way, remove the old bolt and put the new one in.

vs97s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim s2
That's how I've been doing it, just lining it up, but it's either a few mill out either side of the grove in the balancer, and I don't want to go torqueing it up digging gouges into the balancer

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
to lighn it up i just spin it until it kinda wants to go one then use the Bolt. im guessing you may have a burr on the mateing faces? otherise ####s me....should be easy!

try some sand papaerif theres any burs

vs97s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim s2
Nah there was no burr, was smooth all way around on the balancer and the crank shaft, I already used 2000 grit paper on it to try and smooth it out, but still no luck.

On the other news I had it towed to the mechanics to get them to fit it which went all fine but now it's apparently thrown a big end bearing apparently :(

Last edited:

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
how did that happen??

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Nah there was no burr, was smooth all way around on the balancer and the crank shaft, I already used 2000 grit paper on it to try and smooth it out, but still no luck.

On the other news I had it towed to the mechanics to get them to fit it which went all fine but now it's apparently thrown a big end bearing apparently :(

Ya dident give the balancer a wack trying to putti on did you ? Maybe its the new sensor hitting the balancer making a noise who knows but I'd be having a look ya self or even getting another mechanic to have a listen

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
how did that happen??

That'd also be my first question to the mechanic who refitted the balancer.

A big end (any) bearing won't just fail; they wear and give plenty of warning first. What has been done when refitting that balancer?

It's possible that the key has moved from the keyway in the crank. That would explain why the balancer was difficult to line up. I don't know why there would now be an engine noise. That would require hearing the noise.