Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I took the car off the stands and went for a drive and all is Good. Thanks all for all the help for this project because it was interesting and mostly the auto gearbox was services CORRECTLY.

PS: I would like to know how many got their VFs or WN Auto Serviced PROFESSIONALLY lately and did this: 1/ Leave the car STILL for over 24 Hours
2/ Jack the car to be the same on a Level road or garage . 3/ plug your OBD 2 Port on any device than can measure the gearbox temperature. 4/ Start the car , go through all the gears at 5 Sec apart then leave it in PARK and take note of the Gearbox Temp. Now in my case a day that the ambient temp was 30 Deg C the Gear box temp was 24 Deg C. 5/ Remove immediately the bottom overfill plug @ 24 deg C and if oil comes out YOU HAVE A OVERFILL Gear box. Now if nothing come out, minutes go past and when the box is around 35-38 Deg C oil starts to come out ITS OK so quickly put the plug back in BUT if you go to 47-50 Deg c and no oil comes out or slightly come out around 50-54 Deg C you have a Box that has been under filled and will damage the auto.

My bet most will have a under filled box as most go to get their serviced done and they drive there at least over 10K away from home and when at the service place their gearbox will be around 80 deg C and because most want your $$$money$$$ and they service your auto quickly $$$ they will service your auto when the temp is around 70 deg c (10 deg C cool down that takes over or on 1 hr )remember it takes hours to cool like the test that I did, temp vrs time) and if they service the auto to hot ( yes I know the new oil is cold but it will increase very quickly because of the gearbox being HOT) and if they do this and stop adding the oil when it dripps out of the overflow you will have a under filled situation which is bad but if they deliberately give you more oil to compensate this so how much is enough!! For me its a guessing game AND YOU PAY $$$$ FOR THIS.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hey vfssv6forme what an amazing job you have done and with detailed record keeping and methodology you have given me the confidence to give my trans service a go and knowing the right way to do so thanks for the effort you have put in to sharing your project

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey vfssv6forme what an amazing job you have done and with detailed record keeping and methodology you have given me the confidence to give my trans service a go and knowing the right way to do so thanks for the effort you have put in to sharing your project
When you want to do it and I'm still alive let me know and I will give you more info if needed. I try to explain it so others dont get confused and write it so you cannot take my info the wrong way.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a suggestion for next time, grab a set of these for Christmas. They will make it much easier to undo the diff plugs. Just attach it to your ratchet or breaker bar. There's not a lot of room there like you said. I think I used a long extension on mine and swung the breaker bar out near the drivers side strut somewhere.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-11-piece-1-4-and-3-8-drive-metric-hex-socket-set_p6120132
I made this out of Stainless Steel and its very strong. Its 260mm long (I think it 260 or 250 mm long) and 12 mm wide and I drill with PAIN the hole in the middle that is 0.5MM larger than the Allen key itself. The Hole is 60 MM long so it give a good grip of the key itself.
The 8MM key has been taped on the bar with Red tape so I dont lose it and I keep it in my special tool shelf in my locker.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Great writeup. However, one thing I don't understand is that you drained 1.7 Litres before you removed the sump. Then you said (I thought) that the sump contained 3.2 litres, making 4.7 litres in total. The maintenance fill is supposed to be 6.3 litres (and a complete fill 10.3 litres). What happened to the extra (6.3-4.9) = 1.4 litres? Is the workshop manual incorrect, or perhaps it assumes that the fluid drain will take place when the fluid is hot, and therefore at a higher volume?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Great writeup. However, one thing I don't understand is that you drained 1.7 Litres before you removed the sump. Then you said (I thought) that the sump contained 3.2 litres, making 4.7 litres in total. The maintenance fill is supposed to be 6.3 litres (and a complete fill 10.3 litres). What happened to the extra (6.3-4.9) = 1.4 litres? Is the workshop manual incorrect, or perhaps it assumes that the fluid drain will take place when the fluid is hot, and therefore at a higher volume?
I'm not the OP but I've done this a few times. I've never drained 6.3 from the sump. Most is about 4.5-5.
I wouldn't put much stock in service manual refill amount, better to go by the procedure to check fill level.
I should add this is with the camaro deep pan too

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Sorry, double post

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Thanks for your reply, thought it might be something like that. Your other reply (LOL).

Attachments

• doubleposting2wg.gif
    doubleposting2wg.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 101

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
When the trans shop does mine, it always seems to range from 5.9-6.2 with the deep pan.