Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone bought a vfii redline that isn't white?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
2) A white car on a 40+ degree day is somewhat cooler than a darker shade
Would have to disagree.
The heat generated is generally a result of the glass, not the panels. There is so much insulation between black panels ie back seat, door trims, engine, hood lining etc etc.
If there is a temp difference, it would only be slight and prob not even noticeable. Apparently, it's only 5 deg C which is nothing when the interior of the white car is 50 deg C anyway.
Isn't the whole white car cooler a sales pitch by dealers as they usually have more white stock than any other colour.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Motorsport Edition
Mythbusters show upheld my statement.....twice. So there’s that ;)

It’s a free country so you can pick any colour you want and believe any anything you want make up any assumptions you want without any backing from science or experiments or testing. Have a nice day :)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mythbusters show upheld my statement.....twice. So there’s that ;)

It’s a free country so you can pick any colour you want and believe any anything you want make up any assumptions you want without any backing from science or experiments or testing. Have a nice day :)
So lets run with your mythbusters result of 57 deg C for the black car and the 52 deg C for the white car. A difference of 5 degrees C which is exactly what I posted originally. I was referencing the results from your friends over at Mythbusters, so be cautious with your claims of assumptions or lack of results from experiments. And for further clarification, other studies have shown as little difference of 3 degrees C.

If you can jump in my black car and pick the 5 deg C variance from your white car at that temp range, well done.
Your the only person I know that will base their colour choice on having an interior that is 3 to 5 degrees cooler when they first jump into it on a hot day. Regardless of the fact that winding down windows or AC will cool them both in the same amount of time. Guaranteed, it's the first thing you do after you start your car on a hot day. Or do you drive around with your windows up and AC off because it's soooo much cooler in your white car?
Oh and I forgot, black cars also get more dirty than white cars...........
You have a nicer day.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Either Wheels or Motor just happened to have a black & a white Corolla, and a black & a white Commodore, in their car park a few years back - so stuck wireless thermometers in them & recorded the temps. The final temps were the same for the black cars vs the white cars, but with the black cars it got there something like 30% faster. So it’d make no difference after sitting in the sun for a few hours, but it would make a difference if you park somewhere for only 15 minutes, and it’d also have to make a difference on those really hot days where the aircon struggles.

I’d buy a white car anyway, yet it wouldn’t be for that reason; and it wouldn’t cause me to buy a metallic fleet white car if I had a choice. :)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Either Wheels or Motor just happened to have a black & a white Corolla, and a black & a white Commodore, in their car park a few years back - so stuck wireless thermometers in them & recorded the temps. The final temps were the same for the black cars vs the white cars, but with the black cars it got there something like 30% faster. So it’d make no difference after sitting in the sun for a few hours, but it would make a difference if you park somewhere for only 15 minutes, and it’d also have to make a difference on those really hot days where the aircon struggles.

I’d buy a white car anyway, yet it wouldn’t be for that reason; and it wouldn’t cause me to buy a metallic fleet white car if I had a choice. :)
Thanks for the extra info Forg. It also shows another test with another result. Hence my argument of being so small or variable that I doubt it would make much difference.
Good point about really hot days. I can see the validity in this in traffic but would expect air speed moving over the body when driving on a freeway or traffic free roads would have a cooling effect
So it wouldn't be an issue in those circumstances.
All the post was intended to do was to highlight the little or negliegable difference between dark and light coloured cars. Some make out it's like chalk and cheese when clearly it is not.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
All the post was intended to do was to highlight the little or negliegable difference between dark and light coloured cars. Some make out it's like chalk and cheese when clearly it is not.
Definitely agree. I think it’s “wisdom” passed-down over the generations, and since it’s not an entirely incredible idea, people just believe it. :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I love white cars when they have black accents.

I'm not so keen on them when the those accents are chrome as they then look to stark for my taste.

And in regard to the argument raging above about the difference between black and white cars, I find black cars to be blacker than the white ones and during an Australian summer they are both bloody hot.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
I bought a black one. Best and worst decision I have made. I polished and coated it myself. The black colour is soft and swirls easier than the euro cars.

Attachments

• 20200518_070245-COLLAGE.jpg
    20200518_070245-COLLAGE.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 150

Gavin Burns

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSV REDLINE- Slipstream Blue- Manual
I chose Slipstream Blue. I wish I could have had 1 of each colour but the Slipstream hits the spot for me

Attachments

• E0B3FF23-D694-494B-BA45-40B3B57D4826.jpeg
    E0B3FF23-D694-494B-BA45-40B3B57D4826.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 2CE6CCBA-C261-44D3-9C54-498108923FF6.jpeg
    2CE6CCBA-C261-44D3-9C54-498108923FF6.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 135

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
i dont think there is any argument. black looks better than white but black is stinking hot and its a pile of **** to keep clean. it also ages faster (sun affected) and is much much easier to damage/mark. white & silver win every time in practicality. If you're not fussy (dirt, marks, swirls etc) and have a mad garage with no dust - black is for you