Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone ever seen this before

coollamon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX aclaim
Howdy all,

I bought a 2002 VX Aclaim this week it was a repairable write off that had flood damage.
A second hand engine and gearbox was put in the car as the previous one was stuffed from the water damage.
The replacement motor had done 150k and seemed to be running perfectly and it drove that way to, So I finalised
the sale and went through all the hoops to get it re registered.
I was on my way to my regular mechanic thinking everything was fine but wanting a further check done from someone that I know
for piece of mind and a few minor things not working correctly.
The few minor things sorted and my mechanic went to check the tranny fluid when just as he touched it it exploded with hot fluid
spraying all over the place and smoke everywhere due to the extractors being hot from running.

We are both not sure what the hell happened as my mechanic said he has never in his 20+years seen this happen before and me well I am
not really that mechanically minded so it blew me away completely.
Has anyone seen this before and any ideas as to what the problem could be?

He has checked for codes etc and nothing is coming up just 0012 everything ok

looking forward to reading your thoughts

John

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what exploded? around the dipstick or the pan
if as he undid the lock on the dipstick the oil blew out the tube i would think trans is being pressurized from water turning to steam inside pan

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
Sounds like your breather hose is block

coollamon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX aclaim
what exploded? around the dipstick or the pan
if as he undid the lock on the dipstick the oil blew out the tube i would think trans is being pressurized from water turning to steam inside pan

The Dip stick exploded it just shot straight out and launched into the air with the fluid going everywhere.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Holden had a problem with the early 4L60E's in the VR I think it was.When the transmissions were worked hard and got hot, like when towing a heavy caravan or whatever uphill, the dipstick would blow out of the tube and trans fluid would spray out of it everywhere all over the engine which was a bad fire risk, so they recalled them and fitted the locking type dipstick, which has been fitted to the 4L60E's ever since. Maybe its overheating somehow.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Are the transmission lines run through the radiator properly? No blockages? Hard to say what's caused this.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Are the transmission lines run through the radiator properly? No blockages? Hard to say what's caused this.

+1 sounds like your lines are blocked somewhere / I've also heard your radiator cores can crack internally and can leak coolant into the trans lines

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
+1 for blocked breather.

Had the exact same thing happen the first time a mate and I tried to check his trans fluid / do a trans service.

Scared the farken **** outta both of us