Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

has anyone put ecotec heads on a earlyer motor

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
hmmm might have to give jimmy a call and enquire about them :D wonder how far old vn racer can rip them out too compared to stock or us spec ones

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sl, VT berlina, VN berlina, VH SL\E
ill just checkk see it the head gasgets are the same cause if they are ill give it a go i didnt pay that much for the vn actually more in parts fixin the thing lol

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I tried to get some massively ported alloy heads from the states through ZZP, but they don't make any for the pre-ecotec models (seriesI and II). Anyone know where else I could look?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I think the aftermarket heads the turbo buick guys use will fit?

from memory, i found that there were a few oil/water holes in wrong spots. possibly doable, but heaps of work, way more than ecotec heads on pre-ecotec motor

I tried to get some massively ported alloy heads from the states through ZZP, but they don't make any for the pre-ecotec models (seriesI and II). Anyone know where else I could look?

no one does massively ported heads for them. all you can do is get a set and drop em off to your local head man, and get him to port the **** outta them.

ill try and dig up an article i have scanned when i get home, from an sc mag, has some cross sections of pre eco heads.

ecotec heads bolt onto pre eco block, heads need clearancing around a couple of the pushrods, as they sit on a different angle, complete custom cam needs making, since lobe spacing is different, and a couple lobes need to be swapped around, since the ecotec is IEIEIE valves, where pre eco is EIIEIE(ish, cant remember exactly, but one end is switched)

then you need custom manifold, reposition accesories, etc.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
But aren't ecotec heads still cast-iron?

I'm chasing a set of alloy heads. And someone has to make them, otherwise how are all the alloy headed seriesI 9sec buicks getting down the strip?

I have seen crazy-ported aluminium heads (for the buick) on other websites, but no-one seems to make them?!

I've asked in the turbo buick forums, but no reply.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But aren't ecotec heads still cast-iron?

I'm chasing a set of alloy heads. And someone has to make them, otherwise how are all the alloy headed seriesI 9sec buicks getting down the strip?

I have seen crazy-ported aluminium heads (for the buick) on other websites, but no-one seems to make them?!

I've asked in the turbo buick forums, but no reply.

try CHAMPION Racing Heads

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^^ Yeah just went and looked there. Theres also another mob. I started a thread regarding the alloy v6 block they make.

Champion are who i'm going with. should be under $2500 landed and at my door.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the difference between your GN-1's and mine?? aside from yours are 300bucks cheaper

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha i just saw they were the same heads different site