Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

has anyone replaced there blaupunkt with something else... im thinking about it.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
You need a PAC-SWI,buy one from Ebay USA.They only cost about $70 - $90 including delivery and take about a week to arrive.
I'm on my second Pioneer DVD double din head unit in my VY.
The first one is like new that I pulled it out,but I wanted to upgrade to the newer model :) - My wife wasn't happy.
The PAC-SWI is worth every cent,it also makes it much safer as you can control your HU without taking your hands off the wheel.
The only thing you loose is the ability for the radio info to be displayed on the dash,this isn't a problem at all for me.
You set up the PAC-SWI as a GTO Pontiac in the instructions and it will work perfectly first time.
I'm a Holden Tech so I looked up the wiring diagram for for the US Pontiac GTO (same as our Monaro) to make sure the wiring and pinouts were the same as our local VY and they were,you don't get programming instructions for Commodores with these.

I'm selling the Pioneer headunit that I removed if you're interested,it's an AVH-P4000DVD as shown here
Pioneer USA - AVH-P4000DVD - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with 6.1" Widescreen Display

It's like new and has only been fitted and removed by me,i'm a fully qualified Holden Technician with over 25 years experience.

It comes with USB and Ipod cables.
You can have it for $350 Plus post if you're interested.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
you can get adaptors so you can continue to use the steering wheel controls, its called like a PAC adaptor or some ****... i dunno but they were like $300 when i was doing my headunit and totally not worth it, i dont even notice anymore... and steering wheel controls are a bit of a wank really.

im busy until monday so i cant take a photo of where i grounded the wire until then, but basically ran it through the dash and under the centre console trims up nearish the handbrake. yeah when i lived on the coast used to put the dvds on when driving mates around and stuff, distracts people so they dont play with all the fiddly things in your car and break them. which my friends were really good at. haha.
ill take a photo on monday mate its not hard for me to pull the centre console out.

Did you know you can just wire in a relay so you don't have to switch the earth each time you key on?
If you need details I can help you out.

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
Did you know you can just wire in a relay so you don't have to switch the earth each time you key on?
If you need details I can help you out.

i just turn on and go, no switching on/off?

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
You need a PAC-SWI,buy one from Ebay USA.They only cost about $70 - $90 including delivery and take about a week to arrive.
The first one is like new that I pulled it out,but I wanted to upgrade to the newer model :) - My wife wasn't happy.
The PAC-SWI is worth every cent,it also makes it much safer as you can control your HU without taking your hands off the wheel.
The only thing you loose is the ability for the radio info to be displayed on the dash,this isn't a problem at all for me.
You set up the PAC-SWI as a GTO Pontiac in the instructions and it will work perfectly first time.
I'm a Holden Tech so I looked up the wiring diagram for for the US Pontiac GTO (same as our Monaro) to make sure the wiring and pinouts were the same as our local VY and they were,you don't get programming instructions for Commodores with these.

I'm selling the Pioneer headunit that I removed if you're interested,it's an AVH-P4000DVD as shown here
Pioneer USA - AVH-P4000DVD - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with 6.1" Widescreen Display

It's like new and has only been fitted and removed by me,i'm a fully qualified Holden Technician with over 25 years experience.

and wow those pac converters have either come way down in price or wow sight and sound/jb hifi just have ridiculous margins on their products...

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
It's the Oz sellers margins.I bought mine over 2 years ago for about $60 inc delivery from the US,at the time they cost $220 here for the same thing.
Most DVD players won't play movies unless the handbrake wire is earthed.Some just need a constant earth (like your obviously),others need to see no earth signal when key is switched on,then an earth signal, to allow DVD playback.This is just for safety reasons only but there are always ways around it.I'm not that stupid that I watch the screen while driving,but my family can still watch it.It is an offence to have video playing within the view of the driver for obvious reasons,my advice is don't get caught with it on by the police,and definitely don't watch it while driving.

MRSHL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Alloytec 175 wagon

cheers mate, yeah ill chat to the mrs and see what she says...looks good though...im keen. will let you know. is it hard to fit up? like if i took it to a stereo install bloke he would have no worries fitting it?

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
yeah man sure thing, when your looking at headunits ask about wiring harnesses (dunno if you know about them but means no cutting factory harness) makes it easy if when you sell it you wanna keep the dvd and sell stocko, and saves ****ing around trying to join wires and ****. ive only done my headunit, but i've done the sub/speaker setups in other cars so would be happy to give you a hand. have you done an install before?

yeah i heard of the wiring harnes. i'v never done an install myself before. have watched mates done theres etc.

i will give you a bell when i get all the stuff sorted.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
cheers mate, yeah ill chat to the mrs and see what she says...looks good though...im keen. will let you know. is it hard to fit up? like if i took it to a stereo install bloke he would have no worries fitting it?

It's a piece of cake to fit,i've got the wiring diagrams and manual for it.I'll also throw in a special VY surround and bracket setup in black.It has one of the tabs missing,it got broken in the post, but it still fits into place fine.
I think I have a new wiring patch harness that connects to your original connector as well,that way you can leave all your original wiring intact.

It doesn't really matter if you don't want it,as i'll put it on Ebay if you don't.
These retailed for $1495 when they were released,but could be bought for around $1050 if you shopped around.

MRSHL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Alloytec 175 wagon
yeah im interested mate but i gotta run it past the mrs first...she may say no but you never know...as its the family wagon...lol. ive got a vz so are things different for a vz compared to the vy?

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
No,not relating to the radio fitment.I've had another offer by PM,who i've replied to.First in will get it though.