Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have the cake but can't eat it?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Apparently A Current Affair had a SHOCK HORROR story a couple of weeks ago where some poor unsuspecting good citizen was pulled over and fined for violating the little known law of staying left unless overtaking in 80km/h-or-above zones.

What's worth was that when the stupid useless numpty took it to court, the effing judge halved his fine & stopped the guy getting any demerit points.
And his excuse was he didn't know it was a law.

So what - we're putting people in front of judges and they're admitting they don't know the law - and rather than making the guy learn the law before getting back on the roads, we're telling him that's all good & OK & here we'll take your fine away and get right back out there & violate all the other laws you've decided you couldn't be arsed remembering ...

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Ignorance of the law used to be no excuse.... until our deputy prime minister of Kiwi nationality used it as his reason for not following the constitution. This cuntry is farked.

Apparently A Current Affair had a SHOCK HORROR story a couple of weeks ago where some poor unsuspecting good citizen was pulled over and fined for violating the little known law of staying left unless overtaking in 80km/h-or-above zones.

What's worth was that when the stupid useless numpty took it to court, the effing judge halved his fine & stopped the guy getting any demerit points.
And his excuse was he didn't know it was a law.

So what - we're putting people in front of judges and they're admitting they don't know the law - and rather than making the guy learn the law before getting back on the roads, we're telling him that's all good & OK & here we'll take your fine away and get right back out there & violate all the other laws you've decided you couldn't be arsed remembering ...

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
I think it's any limit above 80kmh.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
90 in vic

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
staying left unless overtaking in 80km/h-or-above zones.
Mr Plod said:
On roads with a speed limit of more than 80 km/h, or a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign, you must drive in the left lane unless you want to overtake or turn right.
When being overtaken you must:
  • Not increase your speed
  • Keep left and allow reasonable space for the overtaking vehicle to pass and move back into the lane
  • Keep within your lane.
Something tells me there’s gonna be another @Forg Princess Bride moment...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Inconcievable!

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
The problem is that way too many people aren't comfortable or capable driving at the current max speed limits let alone higher ones.

I'm not sure I would want to be travelling at 130 and come across some numpties sitting on 90.
There's plenty of them (90 k Numpties) up here in QLD. Haha, Ill think ill call them that now. The 90 k Numpties. :D Ill have to think of a name for the worse ones that do 80. :rolleyes:

Its starting to become a real problem on the regional highways here. There ends up being a buildup of about 20 vehicles in a row see sawing between 80 - 90 kmh and no one wants to pass for fear of being caught by "plod" for doing over the speed limit overtaking.

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
The ones doing 90 in a 100 zone have probably got a speedo that says 98; they're sitting out there with the power of advertising on their side, enforcing that speed limit with a Scrubyesque sense of righteous indignation. How can anyone overtake them, they're doing the limit, a limit is a limit,

I overtook one of these sort of people the other day. And he gave me the finger as I went past. It was like - How dare you overtake me!!!
He was in a Holden Cruze too

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Its starting to become a real problem on the regional highways here. There ends up being a buildup of about 20 vehicles in a row see sawing between 80 - 90 kmh and no one wants to pass for fear of being caught by "plod" for doing over the speed limit overtaking.
My weekly drive to work is a ~1200km roundtrip on country/outback highways and this sort of thing is becoming a major problem.

I've been pulled over for overtaking half a dozen cars/caravans at once, all on straight clear stretches where it's no issue. Never been fined but chatted to about the hazards of overtaking so many vehicles at once and about vehicles not letting you back in if need be etc.

I always tell them it's more of a hazard having one vehicle/caravan doing 30k's under the limit holding up a dozen cars frustrating them into possibly making poor overtaking decisions than to "give it a bit" and get past them.

You can tell they understand your point of view but won't admit it, haven't been game to tell them they should be pulling the caravan over and chatting them for creating a traffic hazard yet though.