Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have the cake but can't eat it?

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Driving on highways, has anyone experienced the dilemma of choosing to listen to the glorious sound from the engine/exhaust, or risking a speeding fine in a VF2 V8? My ute covers around 80 km each day, mainly on highways with maximum speed limit of 100 km. My ute is rather quiet cruising at 100 km/hr apart from some wind noises, engine ticking over well under 2000 rpm...At this speed, it feels as if I were driving a Toyota until I floor the gas paddle then the engine comes alive with glorious music from the engine/exhaust. It is quite addictive but risking a speeding fine from the mobile speed camera van as it is now way over the legal speed limit.

I seldom speed in town as on doesn't know what is around the corner from one street to another. Also the fact that I hear more of engine/exhaust sound in town as the vehicle accelerates after each turn and from stopping at the traffic lights. But the duration is very short lived as the vehicle takes mere seconds to reach the 60 km town speed limit. On highways it is a rather "silent" drive when one keeps under the speed limit, especially on a "flat" highway.

My point is that in everyday drive to work, can anyone truly enjoys a V8 (or any other performance vehicles) on public road without breaking the laws? With 60 km/hr speed limit in town, there isn't much difference in driving a V8 or a Corolla, except Corolla drinks much less petrol as all modern vehicles can perform and handle very well within the 60 km/hr limit. The V8s probably only use less than 50% of its abilities in normal everyday driving.

I used to get tonnes of fun driving a Mini 1275 GT in London, using most of its capabilities without breaking the laws. Are modern vehicles out grown the 'ancient" speed limits on highways? And have modern V8s become irrelevant to the everyday motoring?

Feel like having a cake but can't eat it...

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
upgrade the exhaust so you can hear it better whilst cruising :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The whole first poast reflects a number of pub discussions I've been involved in (not necessarily about any car I've ever owned), and resulted in a workmate not trying to revisit his yoof by building another 400kW+ S15 200SX but to instead tackle country roads in a new Toyobaru ... with all the balance & handling & throttle-response and yet not exactly an overwhelming amount of torque, he reckoned he got way more fun outta that than the 200SX (and he's not one to put much stock in stuff like newness or shiny paint or whatever ... half the 200SX's interior lived at another mate's house for a few years :)).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Auto or manual? I've got a wagon so an auto it is. I've been fining it fun to switch to manual mode in the auto and Paddle shift gears while driving around town. The car is so much more responsive around 3000 rpm and the bonus is the crack and pop on lifting off the accelerator. Also, when highway driving, it's great to have the auto hold a high gear (rather than kick down) and let the low down torque work it's magic. It also sounds better too.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
upgrade the exhaust so you can hear it better whilst cruising :)

Drive it in lower gears.

You already have your cake so I guess Forg's idea of different cake is out. Just have to pay to eat it now. By fines, spending on an exhaust, or go to the pump more often. I agree with panhead & chrisp.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
love living in area of 80>100 speed limits and twisty adelaide hills roads even then you only get 3 speeds(manual) and your well over

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
I suppose most sports cars are overkill. I went from a lancer sport 4 cyc to redline. I love the v8. Its a motorsport enthust car..

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
100km/h in third gear should do it. You won't mistake your car (or your fuel bill) for a Carolla anymore.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If all you need to do is cruise in traffic or the highway then a V8 is more than you need to get what is a very basic job, done.