Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Decks And Amps

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i am actually writting to get ur advice on head decks, i don't have that much money to spend but i am wondering what i could get under $400 i am going to be running 2 12" fusions encounters so i want a deck with sub out, any ideas??

I will also need an amp to run my 2 fusions, but yet again not much money what u recommend? i know my fusions are 400 watts (not sure if that is pmpo or rms). what you reckon??

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Just me personally I have always been a huge fan of either Pioneer or Alpine.

Alpine are generally more expensive because that is all they do, but from what I have seen have been proved on a number of instances where people have had them for 10 years without a single problem. I still have my first Alpine head unit which is still going after I reckon probably 4 - 5 years. The only problem with it was the down volume got dust or something under the button.

My honest opinion is though buy the best you can afford, if you see something you like it might be a good idea to hold off until you can afford it. You don't want to be stuck with something you didn't really want and having to double up so to speak further on the down track.

As you aware stereo equipment isn't cheap but it certainly has come down in price over the last 5 years or so. Check out some of the big places like Tonkins which generally offer better prices than your smaller places due to the buying power. Places like Auto Bahn though certainly can't be ruled out either as I have seen some pretty good deals there as well.

I did hear a while back you should spend about the same on an amp as you did your head unit. To me that makes sense and I've stuck to it, I have been happy with my current setup so far.

$400 is this just for the head unit? or does it include an amp as well?

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
No that for the head unit on it's own, i wanna get a fusion powerplant amp 440 total output power bridged because i've heard it run the subs, but as normal price always comes into it, thanks for ur advice

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
just remember, when anything tells you a wattage, it's alway's rms, it would be to hard for people to work out the nominal wattage, i could tell you all how to do it, but i think i might confuse you all

cheers
garth

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i forgot to mention, if any has a head deck they are thinking of selling, call me on 0421879370. but i would prefer people living in SA. i don't trust those australia post ppl

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
just for everyone's knowledge, when looking at a so called rms value on wattage (rms is root mean squared) you simply do this, rms is what the actual usable wattage is. you uw/.64 for example, use the following below

uw = 400w
.64 = .64

so you go like this 400 / ( / = devide by) .64 will give you a peak wattage of 625w, if only someone out there could help me figure out a way of getting that entire amount. just remember that, if anything is stated as using wattage, it's alway's going to be wattage that is usuable

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
?

Hey im new to the whole car audio scene, but i do have some knowledge of electronics lol... anyways what wattage amp am i going to need to power a pioneer 12" sub that says on the box:
"max music power 1400W" (thats the peak, right?), and
"nominal power 400W"....?

Also i have some 350watt pioneer 6x9's that say "nominal power 80W". What wattage should the amp be? And is it ok to have a differing requirement by the speaker and the supply by the amp? eg 80W nominal speakers with 100W per channel amp? is it best to match them up exactly or what?

any help would be appreciated... sorry for bein a pain lol :bow:

Ocean

Reaction score
I would go a RF P325.2 for your subs which are normally rated 1048watts on the birth certificate, they have bass control etc so you can dial them in... better to have to much than not enough.

As for HU I have a 9855 and 9853 for sale, though I would go a JVC AVX2 for $650.00 if you can stretch as they are a much better unit than the ALPINE.

PS a store i know has 100RMS splits on sale at the moment for $175.00 and they are not JAYCAR cheap crud. Quality USA made stuff.

Ocean

Reaction score
what are the models of the Pioneer gear?? it would be like ALPINES SPR-17LS they are 70 RMS and on the box they say 350watts in fact there amps are the same .... ONLY GO OFF RMS as previously QUOTED....